Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Tributes paid to 'Tom' found dying in Hinksey Park
TRIBUTES and flowers have been left after the death of a 23-year-old man found unconscious in Hinksey Park, south Oxford.
Police officers yesterday concluded there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.
Last night, the man had not been formally identified but tributes left at the scene named him as “Tom”.
An inquest into the death is now set to be opened.
Thames Valley Police officers were called to Hinksey Park at 8.10am on Saturday after a man was found unconscious near the tennis court end inside the Spragglesea Mead and Dean’s Ham allotments in Hinksey Park. He was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Headington where he later died.
One of the tributes at the scene, from Ant, said: “Can’t believe this has happened. Such a shock. Going to miss my jogging, skating and bar buddy. Miss you lots bro.”
Another said: “Gonna miss you loads, you will always be in our thoughts and hearts. Love you loads and may you rest in peace.”
Police officers cordoned off part of the park closest to the allotments while a team of forensic officers combed the area for evidence of what happened.
The man is believed to have been lying where he was found for some hours and suffered injuries to his head and upper body, which a post-mortem examination has concluded are consistent with a fall.
Michael Walker, the chairman of the Spragglesea Mead and Dean’s Ham Allotment Association, said the plots are normally padlocked and the only other way to get in would be to climb over the fence.
He said: “I have no idea what might have happened. It is not that easy to get into the allotments. The person who found him I think was the park keeper, who has a key.”
Botley Road resident Matt Timms, who came to the park to play tennis, said: “I come here a fair bit but nothing like this has ever happened before.
“We came down here and found the tennis courts had been cordoned off.”
Police spokesman Craig Evry said: “His death is not being treated as suspicious and the inquiry will be handed over to the Oxford Coroner’s office in due course.”
Last night the coroner’s office was unavailable for comment.
Comments are closed on this article.