Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
The quick pint that saved a life
10:00am Saturday 16th March 2013 in News
A FRIDAY afternoon pint quickly turned into a dramatic fire rescue for two friends.
James McGee and Liam Day colleagues at honey manufacturer Rowse Honey in Wallingford, were enjoying a drink outside the Dolphin in St Mary’s Street when Mr McGee spotted smoke coming from a roof opposite.
Realising that there was a fire in the flat above Spirit Hair Company in High Street, the pair leapt into action, rescuing a woman and her dog from the flat and evacuating the hair salon below.
Mr McGee, of Wallingford, said of the incident at about 1pm on Friday, March 8: “It was blazing upstairs with the door open. The lady, I think, tried getting out but went back for her dog.
“We went upstairs and the kitchen was raging. We dragged the dog out and finally got the woman. She was shaken up.”
The 35-year-old added: “It was the right place and the right time. I believe if we had not gone down for a pint it would be much worse.”
He said the pair were helped by a man known as ‘Frank’ and a lorry driver, who had grabbed a fire extinguisher to quell the flames.
Benson dad-of-two Mr Day, 29, said: “The lady wouldn’t come out without her dog. James had to put his coat over the dog’s face, it wasn’t moving because it was so scared. We just jumped straight into it.”
The woman was treated for smoke inhalation.
Mikaela Martin, 44, who runs Spirit Hair Company in High Street, said: “I would like to treat them both to a hair cut and a drink.”
Comments are closed on this article.