Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Fire sparked by unattended hair straighteners
9:30am Tuesday 12th February 2013 in News
HOT hair straighteners left on bedding caused a fire in Greater Leys in Oxford.
Firefighters were called to Coriander Way at 5.48pm on Sunday.
The family fled the building after saw smoke coming from their front bedroom when their smoke alarms were triggered.
Firefighter Dan Smith said “This is another example of when a smoke alarm has saved lives. We would like to remind people to check that they have working smoke alarms in their homes.
“When people use hair straighteners, they should ensure they place them on a heat proof surface. They remain hot after use for a reasonable amount of time even when they have been unplugged and so still pose a risk.”
Fire crews from the Slade and Rewley Road attended the incident.
The fire was contained in the front bedroom on the first floor of the house. No one was injured.