Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Dirty kebab van loses licence to trade
10:40am Wednesday 23rd January 2013 in News
STREET food sellers have been stripped of their licence because of hygiene and health concerns.
Brother and sister Mehdi and Wadeya Karrouchi, who run “Mehdi’s” kebab van in Oxford High Street, had their licence taken away by Oxford City Council on Monday.
It was the first time the council has revoked a Street Trading Consent.
Council officers found the van was unclean and records had been falsified after a series of inspections.
Councillors at a licensing and registration sub committee on Monday decided the threat to peoples’ health was too great. Chairing the meeting, councillor Colin Cook told the Karrouchis: “We are concerned, especially for the health of people in the city because the van does not meet the standards we set.”
Licensing officer Samantha Howell said there had been a catalogue of concerns with the van dating back to 2007.
The Karrouchi’s have had a licence since 2000.