Residents escape kitchen fire in Bridge Street

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by

Residents’ quick-thinking stopped a fire spreading through their home in Osney on Friday .

Fire crews from Oxford’s Rewley Road station were called to Bridge Street at 3.49pm on Friday after the blaze was reported.

The fire had started in a faulty washing machine, but the occupants of the home stopped it spreading beyond the kitchen by closing internal doors.

A spokesman said: “The occupier had managed to close the kitchen door, as well as the other doors inside the property, when they found the fire.

“This meant that once crews had put out the fire and used the fan to control the spread of smoke, all of the damage was contained in the kitchen area.

“Closing the doors prevented smoke travel throughout the house and meant that there was no further damage due to heat and smoke in the rest of the house.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree