Canadian defenceman Kyle Flemington has quit Oxford City Stars and signed for Edinburgh Capitals for an undisclosed fee – just seven weeks after joining.
The 6ft 7½ins giant has grabbed the chance to play in the Elite League – a level two tiers above Oxford, who are in the top division of the National League.
It leaves Stars facing a race against time to sign another import ahead of the league opener at Invicta Dynamos on Saturday, September 13.
However, they have already identified a potential replacement for Flemington.
Coach Darren Elliott said: “We’re disappointed to have lost Kyle to Edinburgh, but we’d never stand in the way of a player who has the opportunity to play at a higher level.
“We wish him all the best at the Capitals. We’ve got somebody in mind to replace him – somebody we’ve had our eyes on for a while, but wasn’t available until now.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands
- CRICKET: Shipton-under-Wychwood skipper Charlie Brain eyeing derby joy at Horspath
- CRICKET: Banbury skipper Lloyd Sabin excited to take on Division 1 champions High Wycombe
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 50s B get off to flying start in County Championship
- Tennis fever sweeps Oxfordshire as Davis Cup comes to Abingdon
- Striker George Jeacock signs professional contract with Oxford United
- Oxford United supporters' group OxVox say season ticket rise is 'expected and accepted' by most fans