Canadian defenceman Kyle Flemington has quit Oxford City Stars and signed for Edinburgh Capitals for an undisclosed fee – just seven weeks after joining.
The 6ft 7½ins giant has grabbed the chance to play in the Elite League – a level two tiers above Oxford, who are in the top division of the National League.
It leaves Stars facing a race against time to sign another import ahead of the league opener at Invicta Dynamos on Saturday, September 13.
However, they have already identified a potential replacement for Flemington.
Coach Darren Elliott said: “We’re disappointed to have lost Kyle to Edinburgh, but we’d never stand in the way of a player who has the opportunity to play at a higher level.
“We wish him all the best at the Capitals. We’ve got somebody in mind to replace him – somebody we’ve had our eyes on for a while, but wasn’t available until now.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback
- FOOTBALL: Southern League previews for Didcot, Wantage, Kidlington and Banbury
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins record first victory as last kick misses target
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor bury battling opponents with six-try display to stay top of the table
- GOLF: Final pair seal Foursomes crown for Frilford Heath
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks' chances go west as Isca edge tight contest
- RUGBY UNION: Bicester scrape home to narrow derby win against Wallingford
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford are overpowered by Littlemore
- DARTS: Oxfordshire take on leaders Hampshire