Canadian defenceman Kyle Flemington has quit Oxford City Stars and signed for Edinburgh Capitals for an undisclosed fee – just seven weeks after joining.
The 6ft 7½ins giant has grabbed the chance to play in the Elite League – a level two tiers above Oxford, who are in the top division of the National League.
It leaves Stars facing a race against time to sign another import ahead of the league opener at Invicta Dynamos on Saturday, September 13.
However, they have already identified a potential replacement for Flemington.
Coach Darren Elliott said: “We’re disappointed to have lost Kyle to Edinburgh, but we’d never stand in the way of a player who has the opportunity to play at a higher level.
“We wish him all the best at the Capitals. We’ve got somebody in mind to replace him – somebody we’ve had our eyes on for a while, but wasn’t available until now.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton waits to see referee after being sent to the stands in Oxford United's spicy draw with Oldham Athletic
- Oxford United 1 (Hall 54), Oldham Athletic 1 (Burgess 10)
- Oxford United v Oldham Athletic - UPDATES
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We are hoping for some home comforts
- Kane Hemmings eyeing big push from Oxford United
- Michael Appleton faced with Oxford United defensive dilemma ahead of Oldham clash
- ANGLING: Martin Phipps leaves rivals in the cold
- TRAMPOLINING: Windrush Valley girls land regional team crown
- GYMNASTICS: Abingdon's Lili-Mae Snuggs claims top-ten spots in national championships
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Thame A go top of Oxford League after victory over Green Road A