OXFORD City general manager Justin Merritt said he was proud of his players despite defeat at Harrogate Town on Saturday.
City’s unbeaten start to the Vanarama Conference North season came to an end with a 1-0 loss in Yorkshire, but Merritt remained upbeat.
“I’m proud of the way we took the game to Harrogate, who are in a false position,” he said.
“It’s a long season and we’ve taken a step in the right direction today.
“As long as they keep putting in the performances and keep improving as a unit then we’re going to do well.”
City are a much-changed side from the one which struggled last season and Merritt has backed them to continue to improve over the course of this season.
He added: “Everyone who was at the game today will see that this is a good Oxford City team who are very new.
“By the time we’ve really gelled and we’re going into the Christmas period, I genuinely believe we’ll have some exciting times ahead.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Charlton Athletic 0, Oxford United 1 (McAleny 11)
- UPDATES - Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must forget FA Cup and make most of game in hand at Charlton Athletic
- Michael Appleton: We must be 'clever' to solve Oxford United's selection jigsaw
- FOOTBALL: Steve Roberts strikes twice as Heyford Athletic beat Cropredy
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy and Max Palmer smash hat-tricks for Berinsfield
- RUGBY UNION: Second-half show guides leaders Chinnor to vital victory as Henley Hawks also triumph
- HOCKEY: Lucy Stewart’s super double secures comeback victory for Oxford Hawks
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins complete double over Banbury, while Witney and Grove also taste victory
- DARTS: Peachcroft make their class tell to sink Kings Arms in Oxford League