NORTH Leigh suffered a surprise 2-1 defeat as visitors Flackwell Heath progressed to the next round courtesy of a controversial winning goal in their FA Cup preliminary round tie on Saturday.
The Hellenic League Premier Division leaders went ahead thanks to Dan Rapley’s strike, but Callum McNish levelled four minutes after half-time.
However, the Southern League Division 1 South & West hosts were beaten by a hotly-disputed winner from Jeff Brown.
With a Flackwell player lying injured on the ground and his teammates wanting the ball kicked out of play, North Leigh’s players stopped.
However, Brown continued and lobbed Millers keeper Matt Bulman.
Despite continued pro-tests from the hosts the goal stood.
It had started well for North Leigh, with McNish, Wayne Turk, Kieran Sanders and Elliott Osborne-Ricketts all going close early on.
Against the run of play, however, Flackwell went ahead when Thomas James-Peddle played in Rapley, who outpaced defender Andy Gunn and slotted past Bulman.
McNish stabbed home from close range to level just after the break until Flackwell won it with the controversial strike.
Despite throwing men forward, the Millers were unable to find an equaliser and were left to ponder what might have been.
North Leigh: Bulman, Hole, Hopkins, Turk (Bowles 55), Gunn, Caton, A Woodley, McNish,Williams (Ingram 86), Sanders, Osborne-Ricketts. Subs not used: M Woodley, Westlake, Eadle.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat