NORTH Leigh suffered a surprise 2-1 defeat as visitors Flackwell Heath progressed to the next round courtesy of a controversial winning goal in their FA Cup preliminary round tie on Saturday.
The Hellenic League Premier Division leaders went ahead thanks to Dan Rapley’s strike, but Callum McNish levelled four minutes after half-time.
However, the Southern League Division 1 South & West hosts were beaten by a hotly-disputed winner from Jeff Brown.
With a Flackwell player lying injured on the ground and his teammates wanting the ball kicked out of play, North Leigh’s players stopped.
However, Brown continued and lobbed Millers keeper Matt Bulman.
Despite continued pro-tests from the hosts the goal stood.
It had started well for North Leigh, with McNish, Wayne Turk, Kieran Sanders and Elliott Osborne-Ricketts all going close early on.
Against the run of play, however, Flackwell went ahead when Thomas James-Peddle played in Rapley, who outpaced defender Andy Gunn and slotted past Bulman.
McNish stabbed home from close range to level just after the break until Flackwell won it with the controversial strike.
Despite throwing men forward, the Millers were unable to find an equaliser and were left to ponder what might have been.
North Leigh: Bulman, Hole, Hopkins, Turk (Bowles 55), Gunn, Caton, A Woodley, McNish,Williams (Ingram 86), Sanders, Osborne-Ricketts. Subs not used: M Woodley, Westlake, Eadle.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United season ticket sales set to break new ground at Kassam Stadium
- CRICKET: John Barrett hails Oxford's quality ahead of Thame Town derby
- TENNIS: Ustic saves match points on way to maiden title
- ROWING: Oxon crews reign at damp Reading regatta
- ICE HOCKEY: Elliott End set up to honour Oxford City Stars aces
- UD Marbella to provide Oxford United's sole opposition at training camp in Spain
- Oxford United season ticket sales near 4,000 target
- Joe Skarz and Ryan Taylor thrilled to return injury-free for Oxford United's pre-season
- EFL Trophy controversy rumbles on with under 23 teams and shoot-outs for draws
- GOLF: Steady Eddie Pepperell gets off to solid start at the French Open