OXFORD United will be working hard today in an effort to bring in a striker before the transfer window closes.
The deadline for permanent deals is 11pm tonight and after further negotiations over the weekend, the U’s are likely to be in for a busy day as they attempt to get one more deal over the line.
Speaking after Saturday’s 3-3 draw with Dagenham & Redbridge, head coach Michael Appleton had his fingers crossed for an addition.
He said: “I certainly hope so. We are waiting on a couple of things and hopefully the next 48 hours will be good for us.”
If a deal is not tied up in time, United will switch to an alternative list of loan targets, with the window for 93-day loans opening next week.
One player linked with the club is midfielder Brian Howard, who watched from the directors’ box on Saturday.
The 31-year-old, who played for Appleton at Portsmouth, is a free agent and has been training with the squad.
For the moment it is as far as the arrangement is expected to go and the Oxford Mail understands Howard is not poised to join, as United look to put their resources into a forward.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- 900 remaining tickets for Oxford United's FA Cup clash against Newcastle United go on general sale
- Christian Ribeiro set for Oxford United return in friendly with Vancouver Whitecaps
- Oxford United 'out-punched' by another League One side for loan target
- Oxford United announce new dates for Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers games
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United