GREAT Britain’s men’s eight successfully defended their title with a stunning display in Amsterdam yesterday.
The octet consisted of Oxford Brookes University BC’s Matt Tarrant, Oxford University BC’s Constantine Louloudis plus Will Satch, Matt Gotrel, Pete Reed, Tom Ransley and cox Phelan Hill from the Leander Club at Henley, together with Nathaniel Reilly-O’Donnell and Paul Bennett They led from 1,000m and beat Germany by just 0.6secs with Poland taking the bronze.
It was an impressive performance from the eight, who lost Oxford’s Andy Triggs Hodge, Leander’s Alex Gregory plus Moe Sbihi and George Nash to the men’s four, which won gold on Saturday.
The men’s lightweight four of Oxford Brookes University BC’s Peter Chambers plus his brother, Richard, and Chris Bartley, both from Leander, and Mark Aldred claimed bronze in their final.
Denmark powered to victory with New Zealand second.
As well as the men’s four’s success on Saturday, Helen Glover and Heather Stanning claimed gold in the women’s pair.
The men’s pair of James Foad and Leander’s Matthew Langridge took silver behind defending champions New Zealand.
Graeme Thomas and Sam Townsend plus Leander duo Charles Cousins and Peter Lambert missed out on gold by just 0.09secs in the men’s quadruple as they finished behind Ukraine.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United chairman Darryl Eales believes 'B team' decision may change Checkatrade Trophy outlook
- Curtis Nelson pencilled in for Oxford United return next week - if today's session goes well
- BAR BILLIARDS: Oxford suffer heavy defeat in Area Cup
- AUNT SALLY: Former world champion Henry Johnson wins Kidlington title
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City’s unstoppable veterans land 12th straight title at Southern Stage Road Relays
- BOWLS: Oxfordshire draw final friendly
- SWIMMING: Janette Cardy impresses to lift British Open Water Championships title
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars still looking for first cup win after Milton Keynes Thunder defeat
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's defeat at Southend United
- Michael Appleton fuming as Oxford United pay penalty for missing chances