OXFORDSHIRE MIDWEEK WOMEN’S LEAGUE
FREELAND pipped Shipton-under-Wychwood to seal the title in a last-ball thriller at Charlbury.
Shipton were pegged back to 97-6 from their 20 overs, with Emily Day and Ella Gorton both finishing unbeaten on 25, and 13-year-old Lily Priscott taking 3-28.
Rhiann Todd led Freeland’s reply with an unbeaten 25 and victory seemed a formality, but Shipton swung it back with two very tight overs at the end.
However, Freeland had the last word as they scrambled two off the final ball to claim a breathtaking win.
Freeland player manager Denise Todd said: “This year we have played in memory of Les Hole, who died in an accident last year, and he would have been very proud of the girls’ achievements.”
Sussex CC director of women’s and girls’ cricket, Charlotte Burton presented medals and the trophy.
Charlbury pipped Moreton by three runs for third place.
Competition manager Tim Haworth said: “ This league is still in its infancy, but we are delighted that it is providing so many new opportunities for women to play cricket in Oxfordshire.”
Third v fourth play-off
Charlbury 99-8 (S Quainton 3-17); Moreton 96-8 (S Quainton 27no, L Marsh 22, R Brown 3-9).
Shipton-under-Wychwood 97-6 (E Day 25no, E Gorton 25no, L Priscott 3-28, M Lovick 2-15), Freeland 98-3 (R Todd 25no).
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Chris Maguire hails 'remarkable' away support as Oxford United beat Carlisle
- Oxford United keeper Benji Buchel so thankful to Danny Hylton for goalline clearance