OXFORDSHIRE MIDWEEK WOMEN’S LEAGUE
FREELAND pipped Shipton-under-Wychwood to seal the title in a last-ball thriller at Charlbury.
Shipton were pegged back to 97-6 from their 20 overs, with Emily Day and Ella Gorton both finishing unbeaten on 25, and 13-year-old Lily Priscott taking 3-28.
Rhiann Todd led Freeland’s reply with an unbeaten 25 and victory seemed a formality, but Shipton swung it back with two very tight overs at the end.
However, Freeland had the last word as they scrambled two off the final ball to claim a breathtaking win.
Freeland player manager Denise Todd said: “This year we have played in memory of Les Hole, who died in an accident last year, and he would have been very proud of the girls’ achievements.”
Sussex CC director of women’s and girls’ cricket, Charlotte Burton presented medals and the trophy.
Charlbury pipped Moreton by three runs for third place.
Competition manager Tim Haworth said: “ This league is still in its infancy, but we are delighted that it is providing so many new opportunities for women to play cricket in Oxfordshire.”
Third v fourth play-off
Charlbury 99-8 (S Quainton 3-17); Moreton 96-8 (S Quainton 27no, L Marsh 22, R Brown 3-9).
Shipton-under-Wychwood 97-6 (E Day 25no, E Gorton 25no, L Priscott 3-28, M Lovick 2-15), Freeland 98-3 (R Todd 25no).
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Oxford United's new faces help take squad to higher level, says Michael Appleton
- ATHLETICS: Nathan Douglas upbeat heading into make-or-break Olympic trials
- ANGLING: Littlemore ease into Supercup semi-finals
- BOXING: Darius Skop dominates in win over rival Jody Meikle
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 60s in last-over victory
- CRICKET: Dylan Driscoll stars in Oxfordshire Under 10s victory
- MOTORSPORT: Nathan Harrison recovers from penalty to move top of the standings
- LACROSSE: Oxford City to hold taster session for all abilities