Gerald Stratford writes a monthly column for the Mail. Contact him on 07917 772615
FIRST of all I must say a big thank you to all the anglers and non anglers who got in touch to support me regarding last month’s article on dredging.
I will do a follow up later after meetings with the relevant bodies.
With the summer we have had, I think we could be in for a bumper autumn for all species, especially the trout at Farmoor and Lechlade.
I think there is not a better fish than a rainbow trout, which has been in the reservoir for a few months, especially if it has over wintered.
Most trout anglers enjoy catching in September and October, size doesn’t matter, a big one is a bonus.
It’s the quality we are looking for, a full tail, perfect fins and a fight second to none.
You will find most methods will work, we all have our favourite style. Mine is a team of nymphs under a strike indicator.
What’s very important is to spend time looking for the trout.
Don’t be afraid to keep moving. It’s amazing what other fish you can catch on a fly, as well as trout.
I have caught all the course species as well as sea fish with a fly rod.
There are one or two young anglers who have started to advertise course fishing with a fly rod as something new, but I’m afraid it’s not.
I can remember catching bass with a fly as far back as 1968 and catching carp the same way in the 1980s.
If you investigate any sport, most new ideas are just old ideas with a new twist.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- CRICKET: New Oxfordshire captain Jonny Cater aiming to nurture county's emerging talent
- AUNT SALLY: Mick Phipps leads Black Prince to victory
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell faces Abu Dhabi test
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars suffer heaviest defeat the day after ending long losing run
- BAR BILLIARDS: West Oxford Democrats turn it around to reach KO Cup semi-finals
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's senior men thrilled to finally clinch Chiltern Cross Country League victory
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire players selected for South West England Under 18’s
- BOXING: Rising stars put in the work on Oxford University tour
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet