OXFORD City Stars’ squad for their forthcoming Division 1 campaign continues to take shape with another new signing.
Jamie Newton, a 28-year-old centre, has joined from Bristol Pitbulls ahead of the English National League campaign, which gets under way on September 13.
He will be joined in the squad by forwards Mason Wild and Jacob Smith, who have both re-signed for the club.
Wild, 24, joined the Stars for last year’s promotion season, while Smith, a 27-year-old from Oxford, has played for the club for ten years, starting with the junior teams in 2004.
Newton, a key player for the Pitbulls, scored almost a goal a game for them last season and is delighted to be joining Darren Elliott’s side.
“I’m really pleased to be playing in NIHL1 again,” he said.
“Darren and co are putting together a really good team, but being a local guy, I’m most pleased that I’ll be putting on the Stars jersey.”
Elliott added: “He’s got great ability and is an-out and-out goalscorer – he definitely knows where the net is.
“He brings a lot of strength to the firepower we already have upfront.
“Our signings are making us more competitive across the board.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Toni Martinez excited by prospect of making Oxford United debut in FA Cup clash with Newcastle United
- Silence from Firoz Kassam as stadium talks continue
- Ryan Taylor: Wembley impossible to ignore for Oxford United in Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final
- DARTS: Oxfordshire close in on promotion race with big win over Gwent
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks are held to draw after Kyle Barnes's brace gives them flying start
- FOOTBALL: Ricky Johnson out as Banbury United take on play-off rivals Chesham United
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor return to the top of National League 2 South as Basil Strang stars in Redingensians win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury unbeaten run ends in Newbury defeat
- RUGBY UNION: Victory sees Bicester go top of Southern Counties North, but Gosford All Blacks are beaten
- RUGBY UNION: Littlemore and Wheatley claim derby spoils + VIDEO