ASTON Rowant’s fears of the drop from Division 1 increased with an eight-wicket defeat under the Duckworth-Lewis Method at relegation rivals Gerrards Cross.
Rowant now stand just three points above Harefield in the relegation zone, with bottom club Gerrards Cross a further five points adrift.
Having been put in to bat, Rowant were restricted to 198-7 off their 50 overs.
Opener Chris Watling top-scored with 64 off 119 balls, with five fours, while Tom Hampton (3-38) was Gerrards Cross’s most successful bowler.
Rowant’s hopes were lifted as Karl Penhale removed openers Jamie Hoddle and Mohammed Anwar cheaply to leave Gerrards Cross struggling on 29-2.
However, there was no moving Matthew Watson and Daniel Solway, who shared an unbeaten stand which took the basement boys to victory.
They had reached 125-2 off 33.1 overs when there was a rain break.
Gerrards Cross’s target was revised, and the pair maintained the momentum to see the hosts home at 152-2 off 37.3 overs.
Watson was unbeaten on 71 from 109 balls, which contained ten fours, while Solway made 57 not out from 74 deliveries, with nine fours.
Aston Rowant – Sat, Aug 30 v Henley (h). Sat, Sept 6 v Tring Park (a).
Gerrards Cross – Sat, Aug 30 v Burnham (a). Sat, Sept 6 v Oxford (h).
Harefield – Sat, Aug 30 v High Wycombe (h). Sat, Sept 6 v Banbury (a).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- RUGBY UNION: Former Oxford-based club London Welsh go into liquidation
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four