ASTON Rowant’s fears of the drop from Division 1 increased with an eight-wicket defeat under the Duckworth-Lewis Method at relegation rivals Gerrards Cross.
Rowant now stand just three points above Harefield in the relegation zone, with bottom club Gerrards Cross a further five points adrift.
Having been put in to bat, Rowant were restricted to 198-7 off their 50 overs.
Opener Chris Watling top-scored with 64 off 119 balls, with five fours, while Tom Hampton (3-38) was Gerrards Cross’s most successful bowler.
Rowant’s hopes were lifted as Karl Penhale removed openers Jamie Hoddle and Mohammed Anwar cheaply to leave Gerrards Cross struggling on 29-2.
However, there was no moving Matthew Watson and Daniel Solway, who shared an unbeaten stand which took the basement boys to victory.
They had reached 125-2 off 33.1 overs when there was a rain break.
Gerrards Cross’s target was revised, and the pair maintained the momentum to see the hosts home at 152-2 off 37.3 overs.
Watson was unbeaten on 71 from 109 balls, which contained ten fours, while Solway made 57 not out from 74 deliveries, with nine fours.
Aston Rowant – Sat, Aug 30 v Henley (h). Sat, Sept 6 v Tring Park (a).
Gerrards Cross – Sat, Aug 30 v Burnham (a). Sat, Sept 6 v Oxford (h).
Harefield – Sat, Aug 30 v High Wycombe (h). Sat, Sept 6 v Banbury (a).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Darryl Eales: Takeover rumours 'unhelpful' to Oxford United's player recruitment
- DARTS: Democrats find it hard in ODDA top-flight opener
- RUGBY UNION: Twickenham news is thrill for Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women looking towards brighter future after finishing bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Josh Atkinson at the double as Oxford beat South Wales Ironmen
- BOXING: Jordan Flynn ready for 'massive opportunity' in England v Scotland Dual
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith proud of KTM progress in MotoGP
- GOLF: Frilford Heath deal with downpour to deliver EuroPro Tour event
- Oxford United and Oxford City excited over new partnership at Court Place Farm
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith secures 12th place in France