OXFORDSHIRE Under 17s put in a superb performance to beat Sussex by one wicket on first innings in their friendly at Blackstone, Hove.
With a number of regulars missing, Oxfordshire fielded several under-age players, but they defied their years to beat their hosts in a thrilling finish to a super late stand between Hendrick Robyns (70) and Adam Spears (40no).
Losing the toss, Oxfordshire were in the field on day one, and Sussex posted 279 all out in 81 overs.
Spears was the pick of the bowlers, taking 4-51 from 15 overs.
Max Mannering chipped in with 3-52 and Jonny Meardon bowled economically to take 2-39 from 16 overs.
Oxfordshire edged to 280-9 from 71 overs in reply.
Harry Thomas (53) and Harry Ackland (33) shared 65 for the first wicket, but the wheels fell off as they slumped to 170-7.
However, Robyns (70) and Spears (40no) steadied the ship to see Oxfordshire home.
Oxfordshire are next in action on Thursday when they host Leicestershire in the Royal London Under 17 Cup semi-final at Wormsley, with an 11am start.
Scores: Sussex Under 17 279 (T Haines 79, J Billings 61, N Smith 45, A Spears 4-51, M Mannering 3-52), Oxon Under 17 280-9 (H Robyns 70, H Thomas 53, A Spears 40no, H Ackland 33).
Oxon U16 213-9 (50 ovs, A Samiullah 76, G Beer 40, H Eltham 31), Gloucs U16 214-8 (45.4 ovs, J Waters 57, B Slade 41, H Eltham 3-18, R Packham 3-38).
Northants U16 255 (49ovs, G Groenland 83, M Levine 54, H Eltham 3-19, G Beer 3-54), Oxon U16 154 (42 ovs).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United players draw breath before Wembley
- Wembley tickets to go on sale at Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town defender Sam Elkins banned for five games after involvement in pitch invasion against Hereford
- BOWLS: AJ Docherty nicks Oxfordshire indoor singles title in thrilling final
- ROWING: Headington School rule roost once again
- RUGBY UNION: Former London Welsh back Alan Awcock enjoying new career after ending professional playing days
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins prop Matt Edney set for year-long New Zealand trip
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars demolished by London Raiders in play-offs
- RUGBY UNION: Tom Stileman, Jordan Brodley and Sam Pointon named in England Students squad for Ireland Universities clash at Iffley Road
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City’s Stewart Thorp helps Great Britain win silver at Indoor World Masters Championships