Hannah England could not hide her disappointment after she finished sixth in the final of the 1500 metres in Zurich last night.
The Oxford City athlete crossed the line in 4mins 07.80secs. The title was won by Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands (4.04.18), with Abeba Aregawa (Sweden) second and Britain’s Laura Weightman in third.
“It was a fun race, a good race and I thought all the competition ran well,” said England.
“I was pleased with how I ran, but a bit gutted (with the result), but my fitness isn’t what it has been other years – so not as fun as normal I guess.”
Hassan made a break at the bell and with only Aregawa going with her they opened up a gap. England made her move with 3200 metres to go and was gaining on the field, but had to settle for sixth.
She added: “My plan was to stay in contact, but Hassan made a strong move earlier than expected.
“But even coming round the last bend two or three of us were gaining on Laura, so I thought maybe I had got it right, but Laura had saved it for the home straight – so well done her.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must forget FA Cup and make most of game in hand at Charlton Athletic
- Michael Appleton: We must be 'clever' to solve Oxford United's selection jigsaw
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy and Max Palmer smash hat-tricks for Berinsfield
- RUGBY UNION: Second-half show guides leaders Chinnor to vital victory as Henley Hawks also triumph
- HOCKEY: Lucy Stewart’s super double secures comeback victory for Oxford Hawks
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins complete double over Banbury, while Witney and Grove also taste victory
- DARTS: Peachcroft make their class tell to sink Kings Arms in Oxford League
- MOTORSPORT: Paul Di Resta retained as Williams official reserve driver for 2017 season
- RUGBY UNION: Bicester run riot, Wallingford win, but Gosford All Blacks suffer defeat
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL survive late Coventry Bears revival to reach quarter-finals of league cup