Hannah England could not hide her disappointment after she finished sixth in the final of the 1500 metres in Zurich last night.
The Oxford City athlete crossed the line in 4mins 07.80secs. The title was won by Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands (4.04.18), with Abeba Aregawa (Sweden) second and Britain’s Laura Weightman in third.
“It was a fun race, a good race and I thought all the competition ran well,” said England.
“I was pleased with how I ran, but a bit gutted (with the result), but my fitness isn’t what it has been other years – so not as fun as normal I guess.”
Hassan made a break at the bell and with only Aregawa going with her they opened up a gap. England made her move with 3200 metres to go and was gaining on the field, but had to settle for sixth.
She added: “My plan was to stay in contact, but Hassan made a strong move earlier than expected.
“But even coming round the last bend two or three of us were gaining on Laura, so I thought maybe I had got it right, but Laura had saved it for the home straight – so well done her.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- FOOTBALL: Sam Barder is Didcot’s match-winner while Banbury and Kidlington earn draws and Wantage are thrashed
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback
- FOOTBALL: Southern League previews for Didcot, Wantage, Kidlington and Banbury
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins record first victory as last kick misses target
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor bury battling opponents with six-try display to stay top of the table
- GOLF: Final pair seal Foursomes crown for Frilford Heath
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks' chances go west as Isca edge tight contest
- RUGBY UNION: Bicester scrape home to narrow derby win against Wallingford