Hannah England could not hide her disappointment after she finished sixth in the final of the 1500 metres in Zurich last night.
The Oxford City athlete crossed the line in 4mins 07.80secs. The title was won by Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands (4.04.18), with Abeba Aregawa (Sweden) second and Britain’s Laura Weightman in third.
“It was a fun race, a good race and I thought all the competition ran well,” said England.
“I was pleased with how I ran, but a bit gutted (with the result), but my fitness isn’t what it has been other years – so not as fun as normal I guess.”
Hassan made a break at the bell and with only Aregawa going with her they opened up a gap. England made her move with 3200 metres to go and was gaining on the field, but had to settle for sixth.
She added: “My plan was to stay in contact, but Hassan made a strong move earlier than expected.
“But even coming round the last bend two or three of us were gaining on Laura, so I thought maybe I had got it right, but Laura had saved it for the home straight – so well done her.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United will not blow salary structure for summer signings, says boss Michael Appleton
- Oxford United's Kemar Roofe is front-runner in PFA poll for League Two player of the season
- Callum O'Dowda hoping to live up to Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill's high praise
- FOOTBALL: Leaving North Leigh was not a decision I took lightly - manager Mark Gee
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Captain Kat Nutman leads by example as Oxford United beat Watford
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL suffer ninth-straight loss in Doncaster defeat
- FOOTBALL: Lewis Gabbidon lands double honour at Kidlington presentation night
- GOLF: Superb Adam Wootton wins CK Group PGA Kent Open Championship
- DARTS: Pairs whitewash seals it for Challow British Legion
- Johnny Mullins the high-profile departure as Oxford United announce retained list