Hannah England could not hide her disappointment after she finished sixth in the final of the 1500 metres in Zurich last night.
The Oxford City athlete crossed the line in 4mins 07.80secs. The title was won by Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands (4.04.18), with Abeba Aregawa (Sweden) second and Britain’s Laura Weightman in third.
“It was a fun race, a good race and I thought all the competition ran well,” said England.
“I was pleased with how I ran, but a bit gutted (with the result), but my fitness isn’t what it has been other years – so not as fun as normal I guess.”
Hassan made a break at the bell and with only Aregawa going with her they opened up a gap. England made her move with 3200 metres to go and was gaining on the field, but had to settle for sixth.
She added: “My plan was to stay in contact, but Hassan made a strong move earlier than expected.
“But even coming round the last bend two or three of us were gaining on Laura, so I thought maybe I had got it right, but Laura had saved it for the home straight – so well done her.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Simon Eastwood bidding to establish himself as Oxford United's No 1
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell misses the cut in Germany
- Oxford United Women boosted by double loan signing from Chelsea
- CRICKET: Captain Josh Smith calls on Aston Rowant to build on Cookham Dean victory
- CRICKET: Lloyd Sabin delighted at Kurtis Patterson's impact at Banbury
- TENNIS: Alexis Canter hopeful of junior Wimbledon wildcard
- CRICKET: Shipton-under-Wychwood captain Charlie Brain buzzing for Davidstow Village Cup clash
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis strengthens push for Olympic gold with Poland success
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire captain Luke Ryan remains upbeat despite Shropshire defeat
- Simon Eastwood agrees one-year deal to join Oxford United