Wantage's John Tighe won a silver medal in the Masters A National Championships at Salford Quays, Manchester.
A relative newcomer to the sport, which involves a 1,000m run either side of a 100m swim, came second in the men’s 40-49 class with a time of 10mins 53secs.
The gold medal went to Tighe’s former primary schoolmate from Wantage, James Greenwell, who recorded 9.45.
Tighe, 43, said: “James and I were childhood friends and neighbours.
“We actually met playing marbles on the school playground. I won the marbles, but James now beats me at biathle!”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Charlton Athletic
- Charlton boss Russell Slade unhappy with side over Oxford United equaliser
- MOTOR SPORT: Bradley Smith makes speedy recovery to line up in Japan
- Oxford United 1 (Maguire 67), Charlton Athletic 1 (Jackson pen 54)
- Oxford United v Charlton Athletic - UPDATES
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Charlton will be a tough test but we’re ready to challenge
- Grateful Marvin Johnson aiming to repay Oxford United fans with goal against Charlton
- BILLIARDS: Bob Chivers break boosts Fieldside
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Role model Demi Lambourne can inspire youthful Oxford United, says boss Les Taylor
- ICE HOCKEY: Buoyant Oxford City Stars bidding to build on first victory