ALEX Murphy set a new south east regional record, but had to settle for silver in the 50m breaststroke final at Ponds Forge, Sheffield.
The 19-year-old City of Oxford swimmer’s personal best time of 27.99secs was a Oxford & North Bucks county best, but it was still not enough to take gold.
David Murphy, 16, qualified for the 200m breaststroke final in a personal best time of 2mins 22.91secs, taking brother Alex’s south east regional record, but he finished out of the medals.
Fabian Whitbread was another City swimmer to set new county records.
His times of 4.23.96 in the 400m individual medley final and 2.04.98 in the 200m IM final saw him finish sixth on both occasions.
Emily Wood reached the 200m breaststroke final in an Oxford & North Bucks county best time and then broke a ten-year record in the 50m breaststroke in 34.03.
Elizabeth Oliver made the 400m IM final in a personal best of 5.02.55.
- CITY of Oxford’s Janette Cardy claimed gold in the 40-44-year age group, winning the 3km open water event at Rother Valley Country Park in a time of 46mins 58secs.
Janette’s older brother, John Cardy, also triumphed, coming first in the 50-54 men’s race in 41.36.30.
Lisa Van-Breugel finished fourth in the women’s 19-24 event in 41.16.50, before going on to compete in other events at Ponds Forge.
The 19-year-old finished fifth in the 800m freestyle and ninth in the 400m freestyle recording a personal best.
- ROSIE Bancroft, also from City of Oxford, claimed gold in the women’s multi-disability 400m freestyle (4.54.07), and bronze in the 100m freestyle (1.08.00).
Christopher Currie qualified for the final of the men’s multi-disability event, finishing ninth in the 200m freestyle.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton hoping to bring in two on deadline day
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)
- Oxford United v Exeter City - LIVE
- Oxford United eye loan market for winger after permanent move for top target stalls
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Exeter?
- Simon Eastwood braced for ‘different’ mood as Oxford United set for low Checkatrade Trophy attendance
- FOOTBALL: Stuttering Oxford City beaten by ten-man Gosport Borough
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ella Franklin-Fraiture strike in vain as Oxford United fall to Durham defeat
- FOOTBALL: Superb North Leigh beat Swindon Supermarine to make four wins in a row
- DARTS: West Oxford Democrats Club survive scare to stay top of Section 2