Horspath skipper Will Eason has dismissed thoughts that their Serious Cricket Home Counties Premier League Division 2 top-of-the-table clash against Reading at the Recreation Ground tomorrow is a title-decider.
Eason recognises the importance of the clash, with his side holding an 18-point cushion over the Berkshire club in second place.
But he feels, particularly with the change of format to 50 overs-a-side win-lose games, there is a long way to go before any side can lay claim to be champions.
He said: “If we can get a win on Saturday it will stand us in good stead to be top of the pile at the end of the season.
“I don’t see it as a title-decider, but it is a massive game.
“They are not in a great run at the moment, but if they are trying to get out of a run the change of format could be more helpful to them.
“We will carry on as we are. We have great momentum and are playing decent stuff and everyone is contributing.”
Horspath make one change from the side which won at Dinton last week, with Pat Foster replacing Mohson Rana, who is at a wedding.
Great & Little Tew dented Reading’s title ambitions with an emphatic seven-wicket win last week, and they’ll be looking to continue their good run when they visit Amersham.
Skipper Andy Harris said: “It would be nice to get another win this week or next, and make ourselves safe rather than relying on other results going our way.”
Matthew Clark and Ian Bryan come in for Robbie Catling and Robbie Shurmer.
Shipton-under-Wychwood skipper Simon Hole, whose side visit Cove, believes in-form opener Joe Barrett is worth an Oxfordshire call-up.
The Gloucestershire Academy batsman has hit back-to-back centuries.
And Hole said: “He is one of the best young players around and he should be in that side in my eyes. He played two games last year and I know he had one 50.”
Shipton make two changes with Tim Senior and Sasha Barras coming in for Jason Hunt and Shaun Cross.
Great & Little Tew (v Amersham, away): White, Hubbert, Jordan Garrett, Smith, Slatter, Clark, Harris (capt), Lloyd Brock, Woods, Thomas, Bryan.
Horspath (v Reading, home): Todd, R Eason, Phillips, Ali, Foster, Skelton, Conradie, W Eason (capt), Faruq, Krol, Belcher.
Shipton-under-Wychwood (v Cove, away): J Barrett, R Barrett, Dickinson, Hole (capt), Wood, Sanklecha, Senior, Seacole, Barras, Brain, Miller.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks
- MOTORSPORT: Williams' Valtteri Bottas on a mission to end his Monaco hoodoo in F1
- POINT-TO-POINT: Alan Hill hoping for Kingston Blount glory
- BOXING: Clarke and Robinson claim wins for Blackbird Leys
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands