MICHAEL Appleton believes Oxford United’s victory over Bristol City this week will help him sell the club to transfer targets this month.
The U’s brought in Alex Jakubiak on loan this week, but are still hopeful of boosting their forward options before the window closes on September 1.
Appleton has a shortlist, but is aware he is in competition with higher ranked clubs to sign the players.
In the context, the Capital One Cup win over Sky Bet League One opposition will make United a more attractive option.
The head coach said: “It probably does, the types of results and performances from Tuesday night will certainly help us to recruit players.
“We’re being very patient, but I genuinely believe it’s not about getting bodies in, it’s getting the right ones.
“There are two or three there that are real interests of ours, but obviously they will have League One clubs who are also interested.
“We have to try and convince them that Oxford United is a better opportunity regarding being in a lower division.”
The reward for the win at Ashton Gate is a second round tie away to West Bromwich Albion later this month.
While prizemoney in the competition is minimal at this stage, United’s split of the gate at the Hawthorns will be a useful bonus, which could be invested in the squad.
Appleton said: “You never know, I will be speaking to Mark (Ashton, chief executive) and the chairman to see if it does.
“It would be nice to think we can make a few quid out of it and if we can use some of that to help the recruitment side of things that will also be good.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom
- Oxford United sign striker Kane Hemmings from Dundee in six-figure move