A CHANGE in approach helped Lawrence Clarke as he safely progressed into tonight’s 110m hurdles semi-final in the European Athletics Championships.
The athlete from Christmas Common, near Watlington, eased through in Zurich by finishing third in his heat yesterday morning.
It came after a disappointing performance in the Commonwealth Games last month, where the 24-year-old finished last in the Glasgow final.
It prompted a re-think from Clarke, who said: “The last six weeks have gone very badly in terms of my races so I had a session on Friday when I re-evaluated the game plan.
“I am now not thinking about the hurdle at all – just thinking about running in between – quite the opposite of Glasgow, where I seemed to hit every hurdle.
“It seems to have paid off as I didn’t think I was pushing it to get in the top three and I ran 13.46, which is 0.4 quicker than in the Commonwealth Games final (13.84).”
The semi-final is at 6.15pm this evening, with the final at 8.50pm.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United sign striker Kane Hemmings from Dundee in six-figure move
- WATCH: Videos of Oxford United's new signing Kane Hemmings scoring for Dundee
- Oxford United set for double signing to boost firepower after friendly defeat by Brighton
- Oxford United's EFL Trophy group opponents include Chelsea and Swindon Town + POLL
- CRICKET: Tom Condon's century keeps up Aston Rowant's Cherwell title challenge
- AUNT SALLY: Darren Cox's super 16 renews Florence Park's title bid
- CRICKET: Rob Owen's super century helps Faringdon bounce back with Charlbury victory
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton