THE Kassam Stadium is rapidly becoming one of Burton Albion’s favourite grounds according to manager Gary Rowett.
Lucas Akins’s close range shot just before half-time gave the Brewers a 1-0 opening day victory.
It came hot on the heels of a 2-1 success on the same ground in March, which helped Burton on their way to securing a play-off place.
Rowett felt the memory of the win in the spring helped on Saturday.
The Burton boss said: “It’s no easy place to come first game of the season, but I would say this is one of our more favourite places to come and play after last season.
“That took away the fear factor, but nevertheless I think we had to dig in and do the right things.”
The visitors were on the back foot for most of the first half, as United dominated possession.
Rowett added: “It took us a while to get to grips with their shape and I think we need to press with a little more intensity in the first 20 minutes.
“Once we’d coped with that I thought it was a case of ‘can we see the game out?’”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton hoping to bring in two on deadline day
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)
- Oxford United eye loan market for winger after permanent move for top target stalls
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Exeter?
- Simon Eastwood braced for ‘different’ mood as Oxford United set for low Checkatrade Trophy attendance