Skipper Wright says United are stronger now

Jake Wright

Jake Wright

First published in Sport Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

Oxford United kick off their Sky Bet League Two campaign this afternoon and skipper Jake Wright believes this summer’s recruits mean the side are stronger than 12 months ago.

All six new signings are in the frame to make their debuts as Burton Albion visit the Kassam Stadium.

Although head coach Michael Appleton continues to look for reinforcements up front, Wright is full of confidence in the squad which has been assembled already.

And the captain thinks it is an improvement on the previous line-up, which eventually finished eighth.

He said: “I think we’re in a lot stronger position than the start of last season.

“If I’m going to be honest, out of the six or seven who went there’s maybe only two or three I would’ve wanted to keep.

“I’m obviously not going to name names, but with the other four I’m probably happy they’ve gone.

“I got on with every single player last year, but it’s one of those times where you need to move on and achieve things.

“I think the players we’ve brought in this year really add to the team and put us in a very good position.

“I’m really looking forward to getting out there and trying to get three points on Saturday.”

Starting with a home fixture is a rarity for the U’s, whose last opener in the Football League to be played at the Kassam Stadium was in 2002.

Wright, who is a slight doubt for the game with an ankle injury, is aiming to give them something to shout about from day one.

He said: “We want to hit the ground running and be buzzing from the first home game.

“We want three points and get the fans right behind us, because they’ve obviously been a bit frustrated last year and I totally agree with how they were.

“We want to get them back onside.

“Three points would be brilliant against Burton, but as we saw last year, nothing’s won or lost until the last game of the season.”

  •  Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

Andrew Main appears in court charged with South Oxfordshire arsons

Oxford Mail:

1:13pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has today appeared in court accused of three arson attacks in South Oxfordshire, including those that destroyed district council offices and a funeral parlour.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:14pm Sat 9 Aug 14

London_Ox says...

Really Jake? Is that what you really think?

In what actual outfield playing area are we stronger? Apart from the goal keeping situation with the addition of Long, we are weaker across the board or at the same level i.e the defence, as we were.
Really Jake? Is that what you really think? In what actual outfield playing area are we stronger? Apart from the goal keeping situation with the addition of Long, we are weaker across the board or at the same level i.e the defence, as we were. London_Ox
  • Score: 0

11:21pm Sat 9 Aug 14

rightendofa420 says...

Yep, your looking much stronger oufc! Ha ha ha keep up my free entertainment please you lot are priceless
Yep, your looking much stronger oufc! Ha ha ha keep up my free entertainment please you lot are priceless rightendofa420
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree