THE 25 anglers fishing the practice match for the next round of the Oxford Summer League on the Thames at Folly and Medley had to contend with boats and swimmers, but it still turned out to be a cracker.
Bream and perch showed at Folly and there were plenty of roach caught from Medley.
John Beesley (Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths) caught five bream to 4lb on pole and worm over groundbait, topped up by skimmers and perch, for a winning 24lb 3.0oz.
Alan Brown (Turners) was close behind with 22.8.0 from the end peg at Folly, comprising three bream, plus perch and roach, on pole and worm.
Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths’ Geoff Lewendon caught bream, skimmers and perch on pole and worm for a third-placed 20.10.0.
John Taylor had the top weight of 18.3.0 from Medley.
North Oxford AS were forced to switch their match from Stable Lake to the Oxford Canal at Frenchay Road due to a mix-up with the booking.
Jason Bean, pegged on the favoured weeping willow, took top spot.
He caught skimmers and roach on maggot early on, but then was pestered with bleak, so decided to go for them and finished with 9.8.0.
Dave Britnell concentrated on bread and was rewarded with 6.12.0 of skimmers and roach, while Henry Clarke was third with 6.1.0.
Martin Robinson took Masons AC’s latest points match at Butlers Hill, using pellet for a catch of mainly carp worth 33.5.0.
Yan Stankowski had skimmers and carp on maggot for 26.14.0, followed by Paul Armstrong with skimmers and carp caught on pellet for 19.6.0.
Sutton Courtenay AC: (Teams of two, Lower Moors, 5 pairs fished) 1 R Norris & B Gosbee 30.13.0 (bream on worm, roach on tares), 2 I Madden & A Tomkins 17.10.0.
Oakfield: (Wednesday, Red Kite & Swallow Lakes, 24 fished) 1 I Graham (J&K Tackle) 86.2.8, 2 S Trevel-yan (JET) 81.3.0, 3 A Phipps (Dynamite Oakfield) 76.6.0.
Oakfield: (Saturday, Red Kite & Swallow Lakes, 25 fished) 1 G Thorpe (GOT Baits) 140.14.0, 2 J Rogers (Frenzee GOT Baits) 105.13.0, 3 N Bryan (The Bull) 98.5.8.
Oakfield: (Sunday, Red Kite Lake, 21 fished) 1 R Young (Dynamite Oakfield) 91.1.0, 2 D Howe (Browning Crowsport) 80.10.0, 3 M Sawyer, Dynamite Baits 65.10.0.
THE second in a four-match series was fished by 13 Abingdon & Oxford Anglers Alliance anglers at their Marlborough Pool, near Cassington. A total of ten carp were landed, plus bream and tench, which did not count.
Tim Bedwell won with 23.0.0, comprising fish of 15.0.0 and 8.0.0.
Second place went to Matt Bailey with 20.11.0, an 18-pounder and 2.11.0 crucian carp, while Tyrone Adams had fish of 16.10.0 and 3.14.0 for third.
Alex Hardwick caught the biggest fish – a 19.14.0 mirror.
The next match in the series is on August 30, which will be open to members and friends.
For more details on the Alliance, visit www.allianceao.co.uk
Beehive AC: Festival Weekend, Wood Lake, fishing 10-4.
Beehive AC: Festival Weekend, Panshill, fishing 10-4.
Oxford Summer League: Round 4, Thames at Medley. Draw Green Rd, Kidlington 8am, fishing 10-3.
Dorchester AS: B&O Bentley Trophy, Thames at Benson. Fishing 8-1.
Oxford Waltonian AC: Keep Cup v Goring. Thames at Goring. Draw 7, fishing 8.30-1.30.
FTB Carp League: Round 8, Tunnel Barn club pool. 10am.
Littlemore AS: Aggregate Cup 2, Boddington. Draw 8, fishing 9.15-2.15.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four
- FOOTBALL: Cumnor Minors beat Tower Hill on penalties in Under 15 KO Cup