CARL Mason warmed up for the Senior Open Championship in style – by breaking the Tadmarton Heath course record.
The Adderbury-based golfer is a member at the course and claimed six birdies and an eagle on the par four sixth during a pro-am.
The round of 63 was the best score by a professional since the course was lengthened several years ago.
“I don’t recall having eagled the sixth before,” said Mason, who turned professional back in 1973.
“I sank a long putt on the fifth for a birdie having not played the hole particularly well.
“Then I hit a great drive on the 6th to about 25 yards short of the green. I hit a little checking wedge and it went in.”
The 61-year-old’s score helped his team, which was made up by son Andrew, club captain Roger Mawle and John Baker, to win the competition.
Mason went on to Royal Porthcawl for the Senior Open, where a final round 79 ended his hopes of a top-20 finish.
A ten-over par total saw Mason in a share of 39th place.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton: Oxford United off-field wranglings 'not a massive issue as long as I know what's going on'
- From the Oxford United boardroom column: Why we issued the stadium statement now
- Rochdale's winning run at home should be an incentive for Oxford United, says Curtis Nelson
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell misses cut at Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship
- FOOTBALL: Josh Ashby loan extension from Oxford United is ‘like a new signing’, says Oxford City boss Mark Jones
- RUGBY UNION: Matt Williams urges Chinnor to build momentum in National League 2 South
- FOOTBALL: Kidlington manager Julian McCalmon backs Anaclet Odhiambo to shrug off penalty miss
- TENNIS: Chloe Elliott and Diana Mascenikova land LTA Winter County tour titles
- BADMINTON: Jamie Cackett wins bronze at Under 19 Warwick tournament
- 900 remaining tickets for Oxford United's FA Cup clash against Newcastle United go on general sale