Banbury's hopes of repeating last year’s run to the ECB National Club Twenty20 finals day were shattered with a 16-run defeat by Henley in the Home Counties final at Oxford CC yesterday.
Having earlier been handed a walkover in the semi-final by High Wycombe, who couldn’t raise a side, Banbury looked on course for victory after bowling Henley out for 104.
Liam Manley knocked over the top four batsmen to finish with 4-24, while Tahir Afridi made a crucial 33.
Openers Lloyd Sabin and Nathan Hawkes then put on 35 for the first Banbury wicket.
But Sabin was caught at mid-wicket and Hawkes holed out at long on as Banbury collapsed in spectacular fashion to 88 all out.
Gurveer Singh starred for Henley – who had earlier beaten Slough in a high-scoring semi-final – with 2-5 off four overs.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton not ruling out a Ryan Ledson enquiry to Everton
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Oxford Saints smash Cornish Sharks to land play-off semi-final slot
- CRICKET: Sussex paceman Tymal Mills given green light to play for Oxfordshire
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's Jade O'Dowda sets sights on Tokyo 2020 Olympics after defending national heptathlon title
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire captain Luke Ryan reflects on testing minor counties campaign
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire paceman Chad Keegan retires
- RACING: Hughie Morrison delighted after Nearly Caught triumphs in France
- BOWLS: Alan Ley leads Oxfordshire to tight win over Buckinghamshire
- BAR BILLIARDS: Bletchingdon beat Gladiators for first win of season
- RUGBY UNION: Grove battle back to beat Bicester in friendly thriller