Banbury's hopes of repeating last year’s run to the ECB National Club Twenty20 finals day were shattered with a 16-run defeat by Henley in the Home Counties final at Oxford CC yesterday.
Having earlier been handed a walkover in the semi-final by High Wycombe, who couldn’t raise a side, Banbury looked on course for victory after bowling Henley out for 104.
Liam Manley knocked over the top four batsmen to finish with 4-24, while Tahir Afridi made a crucial 33.
Openers Lloyd Sabin and Nathan Hawkes then put on 35 for the first Banbury wicket.
But Sabin was caught at mid-wicket and Hawkes holed out at long on as Banbury collapsed in spectacular fashion to 88 all out.
Gurveer Singh starred for Henley – who had earlier beaten Slough in a high-scoring semi-final – with 2-5 off four overs.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United will not blow salary structure for summer signings, says boss Michael Appleton
- DARTS: Pairs whitewash seals it for Challow British Legion
- Johnny Mullins the high-profile departure as Oxford United announce retained list
- Callum O'Dowda praised by Martin O'Neill after first Ireland training session
- CRICKET: Sabin shines as Banbury beat weather to stay top
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire suffer fourth successive defeat in Trophy
- GOLF: Pepperell secures top-ten finish in Ireland with superb 66
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith happy with improved performance in Italy
- WEEKEND RESULTS May 21-22
- Callum O'Dowda hoping to make mark with Republic of Ireland squad