Banbury's hopes of repeating last year’s run to the ECB National Club Twenty20 finals day were shattered with a 16-run defeat by Henley in the Home Counties final at Oxford CC yesterday.
Having earlier been handed a walkover in the semi-final by High Wycombe, who couldn’t raise a side, Banbury looked on course for victory after bowling Henley out for 104.
Liam Manley knocked over the top four batsmen to finish with 4-24, while Tahir Afridi made a crucial 33.
Openers Lloyd Sabin and Nathan Hawkes then put on 35 for the first Banbury wicket.
But Sabin was caught at mid-wicket and Hawkes holed out at long on as Banbury collapsed in spectacular fashion to 88 all out.
Gurveer Singh starred for Henley – who had earlier beaten Slough in a high-scoring semi-final – with 2-5 off four overs.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's defeat at Southend United
- Michael Appleton fuming as Oxford United pay penalty for missing chances
- Southend midfielder admits he was lucky to still be on the pitch to net winner against Oxford United
- International call-up rules Benji Buchel out of two Oxford United games
- FOOTBALL: Marvel Mia Thomsen scores six for Kidlington in Oxford Mail Girls League
- FOOTBALL: Jack Self’s last-minute strike saves day as Banbury snatch point
- FOOTBALL: Joe Hanlon the star as Quarry Rovers dig out victory in 11-goal thriller
- FOOTBALL: Deadly Matthew Saunders sparks Long Wittenham victory
- FOOTBALL: Five for Jack Morton as Hanborough hammer Eynsham SSC
- FOOTBALL: Lusitanos hit nine to go top of Oxford City FA