Banbury's hopes of repeating last year’s run to the ECB National Club Twenty20 finals day were shattered with a 16-run defeat by Henley in the Home Counties final at Oxford CC yesterday.
Having earlier been handed a walkover in the semi-final by High Wycombe, who couldn’t raise a side, Banbury looked on course for victory after bowling Henley out for 104.
Liam Manley knocked over the top four batsmen to finish with 4-24, while Tahir Afridi made a crucial 33.
Openers Lloyd Sabin and Nathan Hawkes then put on 35 for the first Banbury wicket.
But Sabin was caught at mid-wicket and Hawkes holed out at long on as Banbury collapsed in spectacular fashion to 88 all out.
Gurveer Singh starred for Henley – who had earlier beaten Slough in a high-scoring semi-final – with 2-5 off four overs.
Latest Sport news
- Update: Former Oxford United teammates make glowing tribute to 'leader' Paul McCarthy
- Chris Maguire urges Oxford United to use agonising FA Cup defeat as play-off spur
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Oxford United head coach Michael Appleton disappointed by soft goals conceded at Middlesbrough
- John Lundstram humbled by massive Oxford United following at Riverside Stadium
- Aitor Karanka relieved after Middlesbrough edge past Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Lee Henderson heads Oxford City to victory over Hemel Hempstead Town
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town earn draw and Kidlington win, but North Leigh and Wantage Town suffer defeats
- FOOTBALL: George Nash earns Banbury United a point, but draw hampers play-off bid
- WEEKEND RESULTS: February 18-19