Oxford RL will be without JJ Baird for the rest of the season after the second row forward suffered a knee injury in their 58-16 defeat by York a fortnight ago.
This is a big blow for Oxford, who have a mounting injury crisis as they bid to climb away from the lower reaches of the table.
For Sunday’s trip to north east to take on Gateshead Thunder, Glenn Osborn is ruled out after damaging his elbow in training, while Karl Temata continues to be out with a back injury.
Late fitness tests will be given to Sean Morris (hamstring), Value Bentley (knee) and Jimmy Rowland (knee).
Coach Tony Benson welcomes back Michael Crabtree and Dave Ellison after they missed the heavy York defeat for personal reasons.
Oxford, who did not have a game last week, will be looking for revenge against the Thunder after losing the last two encounters between the sides.
Gateshead ran out 47-28 victors at the International Stadium at the start of the campaign and then won 36-22 at Iffley Road last month.
Gateshead know they need to pick up the victory on Sunday as they sit just outside the playoffs Oxford will be trying to put pressure on the home side as they try and make one last push towards the play-offs.
Benson said said: “It’s going to be a difficult challenge, on and off the field, as it’s a long old drive up there.
“So we need to ensure our preparations are spot on.
“It is hard to predict what sort of side we will be facing.
“But they have brought in some experienced players over the past few months in the shape of Jamie Rooney, Lee Mapals and more recently Ben Hardcastle.
“So they are a side packed full of experience as well as youth.
“I am expecting a tough match this weekend.”
Oxford squad: Benson, Blaney, Blewitt, Briggs, Brooker, Crabtree, Connick, Davies, Egerton, Ellison, Evans, Hoggins, Hayles, Lynch, J Morris, S Morris, Mulkeen, Newton, O’Keeffe, Parker, Rice, Roden, Rowland, Sharratt, Slade-Jones, Thompson, Vickers, Winfield, Wright.
Latest Sport news
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet
- Kate Williamson, 70, stunned to be going head-to-head with Olympic silver medallist in Oxfordshire Sports Awards
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough edge into last four of Fred Ford Cup with shoot-out victory against Aston
- FOOTBALL: Saxton Rovers send North Berks League Division 1 leaders Berinsfield to first defeat
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers