OXFORD’S Hannah England provided the star turn in the British Milers’ Club (BMC) Grand Prix at Iffley Road.
England showed her sharpness ahead of the Commonwealth Games with victory in the women’s A 800m, but unlike last year, there was no sub-four minute mile from the men.
Despite a heavy rain shower, England showed her finishing speed to deny fellow GB international Marilyn Okoro, clocking 2mins 0.50secs to the latter’s 2.01.57.
“I only decided to run on Thursday when I got back from Font Romeu and the BMC were great in allowing me to run,” said England.
“When I heard Maz (Marilyn Okoro) was also running I was really pleased as I wanted a competitive race and hopefully we both got something out of that. I am very happy with that run.”
Sixty years after Sir Roger Bannister became the first man to break the four-minute mile, Iffley Road still holds a special place in British athletics.
Richard Peters (Bristol & West) won the men’s A mile in 2013 with a 3.58.70 clocking, but this time the Commonwealth Games-bound athlete had to be content with victory in 4.01.99.
The fast-finishing Richard Weir (Derby) was second in 4.02.08.
USA’s Erika Veidis dominated the women’s mile race to win in 4.40.03.
The men’s A 800m race saw Anthony Whiteman (Shaftesbury Barnet) attempt to break the vet 40 word record of 1.48.05 he set a week before, but Paul Goodall (City of Norwich) triumphed in 1.49.09.
Elle Vernon (Stockport) beat fellow GB cross country international Charlotte Purdue (Aldershot, Farnham & District) to win the women’s 5,000m in 16.00.00.
Andrew Butchart (Central) won the men’s race by 15 seconds in 13.58.05.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- RUGBY UNION: Former Oxford-based club London Welsh go into liquidation
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four