Oxford City Stars’ squad for the new season continues to take shape with the return of Dax Hedges, an energetic young forward from the city.
The 24-year-old took a year out of the game to travel, but is now back in the UK and will be looking to find the back of net alongside some familiar faces in National League Division 1 next year.
Stars have also confirmed that James Pentecost and Joe Edwards, both also 24-year-old forwards, have signed for another season.
Hedges and Edwards both featured in the Division 2 championship-winning team in 2012/13.
Hedges is looking forward to rejoining the team in a higher division.
“I’m really happy to be back playing in Oxford,” he said.
“It’s good to have the team in NIHL1 to give the club and the kids something to aspire to.”
Pentecost moved to Oxford midway through last season from Peterborough Island-ers, quickly becoming a crowd favourite.
Edwards played a key role in both Stars’ consecutive championship seasons and is another Oxford-born player.
Oxford coach Darren Elliott is happy to reunite Hedges with his home-town club.
He said: “We’re really pleased to have Dax back.
“He brings a lot of speed and likes to get involved – good points which are sometimes difficult to find.”
Latest Sport news
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must beat Bury tonight or they can forget play-off push
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United players to seize final chance against Bury to push Wembley claims
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor’s National League 2 South title bid suffers huge blow but Henley Hawks win
- GOLF: Champions Frilford Heath are whitewashed
- HOCKEY: Mixed emotions as Abingdon Pilgrims bow out with a victory before disbanding
- RUGBY UNION: Defeats for Oxford Harlequins, Witney and Banbury, but Grove triumph
- RUGBY UNION: Gosford All Blacks, Bicester and Wallingford all triumph in Southern Counties North
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford are no match for Whitehaven in cup
- RUGBY UNION: Littlemore beat Wheatley as Oxford and Chipping Norton are also victorious
- DARTS: Oxfordshire chasing promotion