Oxford City Stars’ squad for the new season continues to take shape with the return of Dax Hedges, an energetic young forward from the city.
The 24-year-old took a year out of the game to travel, but is now back in the UK and will be looking to find the back of net alongside some familiar faces in National League Division 1 next year.
Stars have also confirmed that James Pentecost and Joe Edwards, both also 24-year-old forwards, have signed for another season.
Hedges and Edwards both featured in the Division 2 championship-winning team in 2012/13.
Hedges is looking forward to rejoining the team in a higher division.
“I’m really happy to be back playing in Oxford,” he said.
“It’s good to have the team in NIHL1 to give the club and the kids something to aspire to.”
Pentecost moved to Oxford midway through last season from Peterborough Island-ers, quickly becoming a crowd favourite.
Edwards played a key role in both Stars’ consecutive championship seasons and is another Oxford-born player.
Oxford coach Darren Elliott is happy to reunite Hedges with his home-town club.
He said: “We’re really pleased to have Dax back.
“He brings a lot of speed and likes to get involved – good points which are sometimes difficult to find.”
Latest Sport news
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United
- Michael Appleton warns Oxford United of wounded Bolton Wanderers
- Chey Dunkley’s determined to continue rate of progress at Oxford United
- It's not a world I recognise, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton as football is rocked by corruption charges
- FOOTBALL: Manager John Brough eyes historic FA Cup run to build North Leigh support
- FOOTBALL: Boss Andy Ballard begins four-game ban as Didcot Town face Bishops Cleeve
- RUGBY UNION: In-form Chinnor wary of potential banana skin at Redingensians
- OxVox column: How I got with the programme
- Oxford United hit by Ryan Ledson injury blow