Oxford City Stars’ squad for the new season continues to take shape with the return of Dax Hedges, an energetic young forward from the city.
The 24-year-old took a year out of the game to travel, but is now back in the UK and will be looking to find the back of net alongside some familiar faces in National League Division 1 next year.
Stars have also confirmed that James Pentecost and Joe Edwards, both also 24-year-old forwards, have signed for another season.
Hedges and Edwards both featured in the Division 2 championship-winning team in 2012/13.
Hedges is looking forward to rejoining the team in a higher division.
“I’m really happy to be back playing in Oxford,” he said.
“It’s good to have the team in NIHL1 to give the club and the kids something to aspire to.”
Pentecost moved to Oxford midway through last season from Peterborough Island-ers, quickly becoming a crowd favourite.
Edwards played a key role in both Stars’ consecutive championship seasons and is another Oxford-born player.
Oxford coach Darren Elliott is happy to reunite Hedges with his home-town club.
He said: “We’re really pleased to have Dax back.
“He brings a lot of speed and likes to get involved – good points which are sometimes difficult to find.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United run out of time in plans for temporary fourth stand against Wycombe Wanderers
- We have no reason to change preparations, says Oxford United striker Chris Maguire
- FOOTBALL: Oxford Blackbirds crowned Oxford Mail Youth League's Under 12 Division C champions
- Ollie Mersch's superb century for Minster Lovell brushes aside Combe
- Mike Ford hoping to keep star men at Banbury United
- CRICKET: Charlbury's Ashley Rump hammers super 196 not out to batter Radley in OCA
- AUNT SALLY: Barry Townsend so close to a maximum
- FOOTBALL: Berinsfield stay top but North Berks title hopes rest with rivals
- FOOTBALL: Horatio Hirst hammers four-timer as Oxfordshire seal title glory
- FOOTBALL: West Witney beat Carterton Town to boost Witney & District FA title challenge