Oxford Saints got back to winning ways with a 39-16 home victory over Sandwell Steelers in the National Central Division.
Having lost three games on the bounce, Saints produced a fine display.
They opened the scoring when Michael Oluwole smashed his way through for a five-yard touchdown.
But the visitors hit straight back with a score of their own, Jonathan Hayes touching down, with the extra points putting them 8-6 ahead at the end of the first quarter.
Saints started the second period strongly, Harry Carr charging over from a yard and Spencer Duffy adding the extra point.
When James Walter touc-hed down soon after, Oxford had built up a 19-8 half-time advantage.
Sandwell came out all guns blazing looking, but found themselves further behind when a breakaway run from Carr saw him make it 25-8.
Harry Brookmyre all but wrapped up victory with a touchdown in the final quarter, Ali Galbraith scoring the extra two points with a speedy run to the outside.
Dwain Haughton’s impressive 68-yard touchdown run gave the visitors a consolation score, Benjamin Bray adding the two extra points.
But Saints were to have the final word.
James Sharples delivered a precision pass to Walter, who scored his second touchdown of the game with a spectacular leap.
Saints know they will need to be at the top of their game for the next fixture, a trip to leaders Peterborough Saxons on Sunday.
Latest Sport news
- Millwall result will determine Oxford United mood for next fortnight, says captain John Lundstram
- Oxford United boss issues warning over dangerous Millwall strikers
- Millwall manager Neil Harris full of respect for 'attack-minded' Oxford United
- Striker Wes Thomas’s calf injuries proving a mystery for Oxford United
- OxVox column: How I ended up building a network of exiles
- FOOTBALL: Justin Merritt backs Oxford City to deliver without suspended captain Scott Davies
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins and Banbury ready to lock horns in South West 1 East
- FOOTBALL: Wantage Town eye good end to tough week ahead of FA Trophy tie at Weymouth
- FOOTBALL: George McEachran features for England in European Under 17 Championship qualifiers
- ROWING: Wallingford's Ellie Piggott and Brianna Stubbs hold on to national title