THREE hockey players with Oxfordshire connections will be representing the home nations in Glasgow.
Zoe Shipperley is in the England women’s squad and Dan Fox plays for their men, while Emma Batten is in the Welsh ladies’ ranks.
Shipperley is a former pupil and graduate assistant at St Edward’s School, Oxford.
But the 24-year-old defender, who lives at Marsh Gibbon, near Bicester, is now a full-time hockey player.
Former Oxford University student Fox, 31, made his England debut in 2009 and represented Great Britain at the London 2012 Olympics.
Fox is also a useful crickter, who scored 184 in the 2005 Varsity Match during a 408-run partnership with Salil Oberoi.
Former Oxford Hawks player Batten, 26, is in her second Commonwealth Games with Wales.
Batten grew up in Oxford and came through the county’s junior set up.
The programme begins tomorrow with women’s fixtures, including England versus Wales.
Latest Sport news
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire beat Sussex in dramatic Twickenham final
- TWICKENHAM: Captain Allan Purchase honoured to lead Oxfordshire in County Championship Plate final
- TWICKENHAM: Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows eyeing glory after heartbreak as a player
- TWICKENHAM: Banbury duo Ed Phillips and Sam Stoop relishing chance to make history for Oxfordshire
- TWICKENHAM: A busy week on and off the pitch for finalists Oxfordshire
- Oxford United young gun Malachi Napa has career immortalised in a comic strip by West Ham
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce stars for Oxfordshire veterans
- MOTORSPORT: Dominic Paul in dominant form for SPY
- TWICKENHAM: Oxfordshire's history at the home of English rugby
- ANGLING: Kevin Jeacock takes victory