WEIGHTLIFTER Ben Watson can’t wait to get going in Glasgow.
The 24-year-old, from Didcot, competes in the 105kg category event next Wednesday night and is relishing the highlight of his career so far.
Like rifle shooter Dan Rivers, Watson is a former St Birinus School, Didcot pupil – and actually learned the sport there under teacher Philip Karlsson, who still coaches him today.
“I don’t want to put any extra pressure on myself by making a bold prediction or stating a target figure, but I would be very happy to finish in the top five,” said Watson, who is a teaching assistant at the school and won the English title in February.
“At the Commonwealth tournament last year I came sixth, so fifth would be a definite improvement,” he added.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 'out-punched' by another League One side for loan target
- Oxford United announce new dates for Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers games
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- CRICKET: New Oxfordshire captain Jonny Cater aiming to nurture county's emerging talent
- AUNT SALLY: Mick Phipps leads Black Prince to victory
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell faces Abu Dhabi test
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars suffer heaviest defeat the day after ending long losing run
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's senior men thrilled to finally clinch Chiltern Cross Country League victory
- BAR BILLIARDS: West Oxford Democrats turn it around to reach KO Cup semi-finals
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire players selected for South West England Under 18’s