WEIGHTLIFTER Ben Watson can’t wait to get going in Glasgow.
The 24-year-old, from Didcot, competes in the 105kg category event next Wednesday night and is relishing the highlight of his career so far.
Like rifle shooter Dan Rivers, Watson is a former St Birinus School, Didcot pupil – and actually learned the sport there under teacher Philip Karlsson, who still coaches him today.
“I don’t want to put any extra pressure on myself by making a bold prediction or stating a target figure, but I would be very happy to finish in the top five,” said Watson, who is a teaching assistant at the school and won the English title in February.
“At the Commonwealth tournament last year I came sixth, so fifth would be a definite improvement,” he added.
Latest Sport news
- Jake Wright: It was a strange feeling facing Oxford United
- Oxford United fans' chat
- We let them off the hook, says Michael Appleton after Oxford United defeat
- Kane Hemmings hoping to have reason to celebrate next time he scores
- We won't make excuses, says Chey Dunkley as Oxford United beaten by Sheffield United
- MOTOGP: Bradley Smith ruled out of Silverstone GP
- FOOTBALL: Struggling Oxford City are beaten by Chelmsford City and slip into bottom three
- CRICKET: Great & Little Tew seal Division 1 safety despite rain-affected defeat
- CRICKET: Captain Will Eason hails Horspath after Division 2 title triumph
- FOOTBALL: In-form Jamie Cook scores a brace as North Leigh impress in victory