WEIGHTLIFTER Ben Watson can’t wait to get going in Glasgow.
The 24-year-old, from Didcot, competes in the 105kg category event next Wednesday night and is relishing the highlight of his career so far.
Like rifle shooter Dan Rivers, Watson is a former St Birinus School, Didcot pupil – and actually learned the sport there under teacher Philip Karlsson, who still coaches him today.
“I don’t want to put any extra pressure on myself by making a bold prediction or stating a target figure, but I would be very happy to finish in the top five,” said Watson, who is a teaching assistant at the school and won the English title in February.
“At the Commonwealth tournament last year I came sixth, so fifth would be a definite improvement,” he added.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Port Vale
- Port Vale 2 (Cicilia 54, Taylor pen 59), Oxford United 2 (Dunkley 11, Crowley 19)
- UPDATES - Port Vale v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Coventry proved frustrating but we will show our mettle today at Port Vale
- Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley and Tyler Roberts pushing for Oxford United starting roles at Port Vale
- Joe Rothwell wants reaction from Oxford United
- SNOOKER/BILLIARDS: Neil Craycraft stars in Abingdon Conservatives' whitewash
- MOTORSPORT: Williams seeking boost for US Grand prix
- SKATER HOCKEY: Adam Harris thrilled to be making his debut for GB
- ANGLING: Steve Harwood loses out by a ounce in Oxford Winter League