Man cleared of abuse wins complaints against council

Paul Townsend

Paul Townsend

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Abingdon and Wantage, South Oxford and Kennington. Call me on 01865 425431

AN ABINGDON man cleared of 20 sexual abuse charges has had a series of complaints about his treatment by social services upheld.

Paul Townsend, 29, was charged with 13 counts of sexual activity with a child, three of sexual assault and four of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity in March last year.

Following a three-week trial in November, it took the jury six-and-a-half hours to find him not guilty of all of them.

Oxfordshire County Council was required by law to take action to safeguard his then four-year-old daughter, Esme, who was not involved, when the allegations first arose. That involved questioning her about her relationship with her father, sometimes with him present and sometimes not.

Mr Townsend made 55 complaints to the council regarding his and his daughter’s treatment while the council assessed her safety.

The county council has now upheld “several” of those complaints and said it is planning to implement recommendations from the process.

The council last night was unable to tell the Oxford Mail which of the 55 complaints had been upheld. However, Mr Townsend said it had agreed it should not have used the world “victim” to describe the four girls in the case but “alleged victim”. He also said the council admitted it should not have referred to him as an “offender”.

Mr Townsend said: “We were treated terribly. It felt like I was ‘guilty until proven innocent’.”

He said the council agreed with his complaint that opinion should not have been used in any report.

He also claimed the council also admitted positive comments from family members were deliberately left out of a report.

Council spokesman Marcus Mabberley said: “A small number of the complaints made by Mr Townsend were upheld. The recommendations resulting from this process are now being implemented.”

Top News

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.


Our top stories

Black Friday: Shopping traffic causing chaos around Bicester as police warn to avoid area

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

1:59pm Friday 28th November 2014

POLICE have urged people to avoid the Bicester area due to heavy traffic into Bicester Village on Black Friday.

Labour holds Blackbird Leys and Northfield Brook wards and Leys division in by-elections

Oxford Mail: Oxfordshire County Council member for Northfield Brook Steve Curran

11:58pm Thursday 27th November 2014

LABOUR has tonight comfortably held three council seats in by-elections in Oxford.

Two people held tonight in sex trafficking investigation

Oxford Mail:

12:00am Friday 28th November 2014

TWO people have been arrested tonight on suspicion of arranging for people to be brought into Britain for the sex trade.

John Campbell desperate to seize second chance with Oxford United

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Friday 28th November 2014

JOHN Campbell expects it will be a struggle to sleep tonight as he deals with excitement levels beyond anything he experienced playing in two Wembley finals.

Grant: City bids for share of £144m cycling money

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 28th November 2014

OXFORD’S share of a newly-announced £114m grant could be spent on a fully connected city cycle network or teaching cycling in schools, campaigners have said.

Drugs conspiracy case jury considers verdict

Oxford Mail: Scales of Justice

8:30am Friday 28th November 2014

The jury in the case of a pub boss and building company director accused of being involved in a drugs conspiracy has retired to consider its verdict.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree