SOME 6,800 drivers between Wantage and Faringdon will be asked to take a 24-mile diversion route for 13 weeks this autumn.
Commuters have been told to take the A420 and A338 while Network Rail rebuilds Challow Station Road bridge on the A417 from Saturday, September 6.
Those cars will join the 13,000 daily journeys already made on the A338 between Wantage and Oxford.
Network Rail and Oxfordshire County Council revealed the proposed diversion at a meeting at Faringdon’s Corn Exchange on Tuesday night attended by about 100 residents.
Despite an online petition against the closure – now with 1,000 signatures – Network Rail said no alternative plans are being considered.
Western and Wales director and Faringdon resident Robbie Burns compared the £1.6m cost, just to rebuild the bridge, with more than £3m to put a temporary or permanent road bridge alongside.
Mr Burns said if he had known the costs and time implications earlier he would not have agreed to build a replacement bridge, alongside the existing bridge on the A338, while that is rebuilt next year.
The firm will, however, build a temporary bridge for services, pedestrians and cyclists for the duration of the works.
Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website