Oxford MailWoman tells of 'betrayal' after being secretly filmed in bathroom by her stepfather (From Oxford Mail)

Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us

Witney woman tells of 'betrayal' after being secretly filmed in bathroom by her stepfather

Oxford Mail: Andrew Simpson Andrew Simpson

A WOMAN has said she feels betrayed after her step-father admitted setting up a secret camera to film her.

Scarlett Seldon, 23, has waived her right to anonymity to be named in the Oxford Mail to talk about the impact it has had on her and her family.

Her step-father Andrew Simpson, 49, admitted two charges of voyeurism yesterday that related to Miss Seldon that took place between January 1, 2012, and November 13 that year.

Banbury Magistrates’ Court was told Simpson, of Burford Road, Witney, had fitted a camera in a bathroom at another property in the former family home in Kingsfield Crescent, Witney, and filmed “sporadic” footage of his step-daughter in the shower and bath.

The court also heard he took footage of women’s bottoms while out shopping but this was not part of either charge.

Simpson was discovered after Miss Seldon found the camera in a pill box in the bathroom and told police.

After the hearing Miss Seldon, 23, said she felt “betrayed” by Simpson’s actions, as he had been her step-father for 10 years. She said her mother had since divorced Simpson.

She said: “I’m quite good most of the time but there are times when I break down or want to stay in bed.

“I miss him because he was my step-dad and it kind of feels like he’s died because he has just gone.”

Miss Seldon, who works as an account manager for Clarins, said: “I don’t feel safe in my own house because he’s here in Witney.

“I definitely feel betrayed, and hurt more than anything.”

The court heard Simpson, left, made 16 videos in total but was told they were for his own use and not distributed to anyone else.

Ann Sawyer-Brandish, prosecuting, said: “Two videos show him shopping and filming bums of ladies as he was walking.”

Catherine Scammell, defending Simpson, said he had shown “huge remorse”.

She said: “I don’t think it was something that happened every day. It was sporadic. It was something that occurred at a time when Mr Simpson was particularly low.

“He had been medically retired after 25 years in banking and was suffering depression and stress, and there were problems at home.”

Presiding magistrate Gordon Halliday asked for reports on Simpson and said the charges were “so serious” that he would not rule out a prison sentence or committing the matter to Oxford Crown Court for sentence to be passed by a judge.

Simpson was released on conditional bail to return to Banbury Magistrates’ Court on July 16, at 2pm, for sentencing.

  • Our top stories

Retrial in case of Jake Blakeley set for January next year

Oxford Mail:

3:07pm Friday 1st August 2014

There will be a retrial in the case of Jake Blakeley, who was accused of preventing a lawful burial in the case of murdered teen Jayden Parkinson.

Junior joins United's ranks

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 1st August 2014

Michael Appleton was thrilled Oxford United’s pat-ience paid off after they finally clinched the signing of Junior Brown last night.

Five police officers interviewed over handling of search for murdered Jayden Parkinson

Oxford Mail: Jayden Parkinson

10:24am Friday 1st August 2014

FIVE police officers have been served misconduct notices and are being interviewed over the handling of the search for murdered teenager Jayden Parkinson.

United opens doors to unemployed youngsters

Oxford Mail: oxford united logo 1200pix

9:00am Friday 1st August 2014

OXFORD United will today announce hundreds of new signings as it kicks off a scheme to help the city’s unemployed young people.

Facelift for towers has the backing of residents

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 1st August 2014

RESIDENTS across the city have welcomed the new designs for Oxford’s five tower blocks.

Hundreds join protest against violence in Gaza

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 1st August 2014

PRO-PALESTINE campaigners marched through Oxford last night calling for an end to Israeli violence in Gaza.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree