SCIENTISTS plan to start recruiting volunteers next week to trial a vaccine to combat killer virus Ebola.
Last week it was announced that Prof Adrian Hill, director of the Jenner Institute at Oxford University, would lead clinical trials to identify a vaccine to tackle Ebola, which has killed more than 1,500 people in West Africa.
Liberal Democrat MEP Catherine Bearder, who said the trial was part-funded by European Union research funding, has called on the EU to secure extra funding for the trial.
She said: “Unlocking additional EU cash could give this life-saving study an important boost.”
Prof Hill, 55, from Headington, is seeking more than 60 volunteers from Oxford and the surrounding area.
He said: “We hope to open recruitment from next week. This is a highly regulated matter with strict confidentiality provisions for the subjects.”
Prof Hill is seeking 60 volunteers, and they will be split into groups of 20 to receive different doses of the vaccine.
The professor, who has worked in the vaccination field for the past 20 years, said earlier he was “quite confident” that a vaccine could work against Ebola.
Volunteers have been invited to email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street