A 69-year-old man died while swimming in the sea in Crete, an inquest heard yesterday.
Keith Waite, of Reading Road, Rowstock, near Didcot, had been on holiday with his wife when he died on Saturday, August 16.
Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court heard how he had tried to help his wife when they were caught by a rip tide but he was taken out to sea himself and died.
Assistant coroner Alison Thompson said Mr Waite, a chartered accountant, had a history of coronary heart disease, which may have contributed to his death.
The inquest was adjourned but no date has been set for a hearing.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed
Our top stories
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year