SUMMER is coming to an end but there is still time for a trip to the beach for Oxford residents and visitors.
About 4,500 people have visited the free Oxford Beach since it opened at the Castle Quarter in May.
Umbrellas have been a more frequent sight throughout a damp August but businesses at the castle are hoping for an Indian summer before it closes on Sunday, September 14.
Castle operations manager Sam Pace said: “We had a lovely Indian summer last year, so we extended the time we kept the beach until October because we didn’t want to waste the good weather.
“The last month has been tough but it’s also made for sandcastle building. Even when there’s rain there’s little ones making castles.”
The beach, which has 50 deckchairs as well as buckets and spades, has been used for summer activities such as barbecues, Caribbean parties, live music and an Oxford United educational programme.
Visitors have also been given tours around the castle by a group of guides based on historical characters including prison governor Daniel Harris, who led penal reform in the city.
The 38 tonnes of sand needed to create the beach will now be donated to schools, nurseries and golf courses.
Ms Pace added: “It’s been a fantastic summer – we’ve had some great sunshine and welcomed new visitors to the castle.
“The last one was the first time we did it and it was brought back by popular demand. We’ll almost certainly be having it again next year.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
6:00am Friday 31st July 2015
COUNTY Hall provided the latest backdrop for ITV drama Endeavour when crews set up in Oxford city centre.
6:00am Friday 31st July 2015
A FORMER pub in Oxford is set to be transformed into a Caribbean restaurant after sitting empty for nearly six months.
8:30am Thursday 30th July 2015
A DIGGER is now on the scene at Brasenose Driftway where police say canisters containing an unknown substance have caused soil contamination.
6:30am Thursday 30th July 2015
COUNCIL leader Matthew Barber yesterday said decisions over the failed £100 million West Way scheme were made “in good faith”.
6:19pm Thursday 30th July 2015
PLANS to invest £5m in a homeless housing scheme to combat a crisis in temporary accommodation in Oxford have been backed by councillors.
4:15pm Thursday 30th July 2015
A MAN has been arrested after an attempted rape in Sandford-on-Thames earlier today.