DAVID Cameron played tennis on recently- resurfaced courts against club members.
The Prime Minister and Witney MP visited Witney Lawn Tennis Club, based at West Witney Sports Ground, which has just had its four courts resurfaced.
He played doubles with chairman and men’s B team captain Chris Pyne, losing to men’s A team captain Mark Adam and head coach Eddie Large.
Mr Pyne said: “It will be a match remembered for some time.
“Everyone present appreciated the opportunity of meeting David Cameron in a very relaxed and informal environment.”
Mr Cameron also watched ladies’ and junior games and learnt about the coaching programme.
He spoke to committee members, coaches and junior players, as well as West Witney Sports Association chairwoman Sue Wilson.
The association is negotiating with Witney Town Council for a 50-year lease to run the sports ground. It would apply for funding to refurbish the main building and pitches.
The courts were resurfaced for £27,000 in June after a protracted dispute between the club and Witney Town Council.
The club complained to the council about the poor state of the courts in 2007 and said it had a legal contract which meant the work should have been done in 2008.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street