IT MAY still be August, but Father Christmas has just started a recruitment drive.
Old Saint Nick is hunting for elves to help him out at Millets Farm Centre at Frilford Heath, near Abingdon, come Christmas.
For up to £7 an hour – depending on experience – Santa’s little helpers’ main duty is making sure children visiting the grotto have a “magical and memorable” time.
There is no height restriction and all candidates will be given a full day’s “elf orientation”.
Mr Claus has employed the help of Frosts, which manages the garden centre, in the search.
The job advert states: “Candidates must enjoy working with children of all ages and their grown-ups, be able to take care of the reindeer, make sure Santa is on time for all of his appointments and that Mrs Claus is also well looked after.
“Elves will sing and dance with children as well as reading stories and doing craft activities.
“The right applicants for the role will be lively and animated, with previous experience in festive entertainment.
“New elf outfits and elf orientation will be provided.
“Successful applicants will enjoy great working conditions in Santa’s state-of-the-art yet homely grotto.”
On the orientation course, elves learn the songs they will sing, including Christmas carols with matching actions, and essential skills like how to take care of parents while their children see Santa.
They will also take children into Santa’s grotto.
Candidates must be available for an assessment evening during the week beginning September 8.
Former Millets elf and current employee Hannah Potter, 22, said: “It is possibly the best job I have done.”
Miss Potter, from Faringdon, who has a Geography degree, said: “You have to always be really happy and make sure everyone has the happiest time possible.”
Her duties last year included making presents and reindeer food for children to leave out on Christmas Eve.
Another former Millets elf, Kirsty Ebsworth, said: “I've been an elf at Millets Farm for the past two years and it's great fun.
“There aren’t many other jobs where you get to spend your days surrounded by cheer and goodwill and let your inner child out.”
Download an application form from frostsgarden centres.co.uk/careers.
The closing date for applications is next Monday.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes