Cowley plant worker died after exposure to asbestos

Oxfordshire coroners

Oxfordshire coroners

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Health reporter, also covering Kidlington. Call me on 01865 425271

A FORMER Cowley plant health and safety officer died from exposure to asbestos at the factory, a coroner ruled.

The family of Anthony Boodell, from Kidlington, are taking legal action over his death on April 25 aged 75, it was revealed at his inquest.

He worked at the former Pressed Steel factory from 1954 to 1988 where he contracted epithelial mesothelioma caused by asbestos.

In a 2010 statement filed at county court he said he was responsible as a tinsmith for removing ovens and furnaces and stripping lagging to 1968.

The statement, filed the same year he began to develop breathing difficulties, said: “As I removed the asbestos lagging I was exposed to asbestos dust.”

Assistant Oxfordshire coroner Peter Clark said: “He had previously worked in removing and relaying lagging and had undertaken other repairs and, as a result, was exposed to asbestos dust.”

This also came from “pipework and lagging and this being the likely cause of the mesothelioma”.

He recorded a verdict of death from industrial disease.

Although he was “doing extremely well” by March 2013, he went for radiotherapy the next year.

A statement from consultant in respiratory medicine Dr Najib Rahman said apart from heart disease that was being controlled, he had “no other significant medical history”.

He said it was “beyond reasonable doubt” that Mr Boodell – who died at the Churchill Hospital’s Sobell House Hospice – had epithelial mesothelioma.

Mr Clark heard legal proceedings are still ongoing.

Mr Boodell was appointed foreman in 1968 and principal safety engineer in 1986 and the disease presented itself 10 to 30 years after exposure.

 

 

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Our top stories

Update: Police say Bicester explosives may have been plundered from protected sites

Oxford Mail:

11:06am Thursday 18th September 2014

WAR munitions discovered this morning at a home in Bicester may have come from illegal metal detecting at heritage sites.

Novelist books in to join Oxford prep school celebrations

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Thursday 18th September 2014

MIDSOMER Murders creator Anthony Horowitz joined an Oxford school to help celebrate its 150th birthday.

Mullins backs O'Dowda to hit the heights

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Thursday 18th September 2014

CALLUM O’Dowda has all the attributes to progress and play at a higher level, according to Oxford United teammate Johnny Mullins.

Nearly a third of county five-year-olds have tooth decay

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 18th September 2014

ALMOST one in three Oxfordshire five-year-olds has tooth decay, new figures have revealed.

Pilot error blamed for flipping Tiger Moth

Oxford Mail: CROY: Enthusiast hopes Airport House biplane will fly again

8:30am Thursday 18th September 2014

A VINTAGE aircraft owned by a Oxfordshire man crash-landed because of pilot error.

Mum Ruth makes it a world first in hunt for Ebola vaccine

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Thursday 18th September 2014

A MUM-of-two from Oxfordshire was the first person in the world to be injected with an Ebola gene yesterday as part of a city-led battle against the deadly virus.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree