Councillor gets action on lights after long fight

City councillor Mick Haines in the Croft Road recreation ground

City councillor Mick Haines in the Croft Road recreation ground Buy this photo

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Headington and Marston. Call me on (01865) 425411

A SEVEN-year saga over lights in a community park appears to be at an end after extra cash was approved for the project.

Oxford City Council revealed it expects the lights to be installed in Marston’s Croft Road recreation ground by the end of next month after a seven-year wait.

The plans have been part of a joint venture between the city council and Oxfordshire County Council to revamp the recreation ground.

If the work goes ahead it would mean the end of a project which was first proposed in 2007, according to independent city councillor for Marston Mick Haines.

He said: “It has been a long and hard struggle but people will really appreciate it. Marston has been left behind for many years. We have been seeing other places getting these things done but this is a step in the right direction.

“A lot of people said they would never go in so I’m pleased that those people have been proved wrong.”

Plans to install the lights in July 2009 were scuppered when residents complained about the size of the 16-feet-high posts and how close they were to homes.

In 2010, Mr Haines delivered a petition signed by 1,205 people to 10 Downing Street in an attempt to move the project forward.

Last year the county council installed a new cycle path in the park, but the city council is in charge of installing the 12 lights to illuminate the path and the playground.The work will cost £32,000.

City council spokesman Chofamba Sithole said delays acquiring the land and funding problems had held the project up.

He said: “As with any construction project, there is always potential risk of the timeline changing as a result of external factors that may affect the final delivery date, but we do not at this point anticipate any significant delay.

“We have worked hard with officers and members to facilitate release of funding.”

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.


Our top stories

Cheney trust is choice to run new Barton Park Primary School

Oxford Mail: New Oxfordshire county council logo

6:10am Tuesday 21st April 2015

THE trust that will manage the primary school in the new Barton Park development was decided by councillors yesterday.

Tuberculosis victim accused of breaching Asbo by spitting inside medical centre

Oxford Mail:

5:30am Tuesday 21st April 2015

A HOMELESS man given an anti-social behaviour order for trying to spread tuberculosis (TB) has gone on trial in Oxford Crown Court.

Randolph Hotel: Damage runs to millions but we may re-open on Saturday

Oxford Mail:

8:08am Monday 20th April 2015

THE manager of Oxford’s Randolph Hotel has said the fire caused millions of pounds of damage.

Randolph Hotel: Flambe cooking thought to be cause of fire

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 20th April 2015

FIRE crews were expected to return the flame-stricken Randolph Hotel to management today after spending the weekend making the building safe.

UPDATE: Randolph Hotel: Beaumont Street reopens westbound

Oxford Mail:

3:05pm Monday 20th April 2015

BEAUMONT Street is set to partly reopen later today after engineers assessed damage to the Randolph Hotel following Friday’s fire.

Jury retires to consider verdict in Robert Dobinson murder trial

Oxford Mail:

3:21pm Monday 20th April 2015

THE jury has retired to consider its verdict in the trial of a woman who denies fatally stabbing her boyfriend in a drunken rage.

 

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:24am Fri 22 Aug 14

Andrew:Oxford says...

Will there be a plaque on each one to indicate they were "given" to the people of Marston from their councillor?
Will there be a plaque on each one to indicate they were "given" to the people of Marston from their councillor? Andrew:Oxford
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree