Heavy showers and thunderstorms are forecast for Oxfordshire today as the Met Office issued a severe weather warning.
The warning is for between 12.10pm and 9pm today and could see more than 30mm of rain in a two to three hour period as well as lightning.
A Met Office spokesman said: "The public should be aware of the risk of localised surface water flooding, with the added hazard of lightning in some areas.
"An unstable and moist flow across southern parts of Britain will provide the basis for some intense showers through today, and with the winds lighter than recent days, these will last longer where they do occur, perhaps producing in excess of 30 mm of rain in 2 or 3 hours in a few localities.
"But as so often happens on showery days, some places will escape the worst."
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech