AN OXFORD martial arts class is punching above its weight after being given a cash boost.
Next Level Martial Arts has been given funding from Oxfordshire County Council for a boxing ring.
The club at Northway Community Centre, Dorra Car Close – which has about 20 young members – was set up by Tony Tassell, 38, in 2011.
He said: “We are very pleased to have been given the funding. We have wanted the boxing ring since we opened. We don’t make much money and any money we make goes back into the club.
“We need a boxing ring because we have students in kickboxing competitions and it would be good for them to learn things such as getting out of a corner.
“Martial arts is great for the children and it helps with their self-discipline and their self-esteem.”
Mr Tassell, a painter and decorator from Northway, says the club has three coaches and teaches taekwondo, kickboxing and mixed martial arts.
Marston and Northway county councillor Mark Lygo helped Mr Tassell get the money through the county council.
He said: “I got involved when Tony set up the club and I have seen it grow over the years.
“Hopefully now they have got the boxing ring they can develop even further. I know some of the children have travelled and won competitions so it is a massive asset for the community.”
The county council gave the club £1,095 for the 10ft by 10ft ring.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon