JAKE Holland got to imagine what it would have been like to be his great, great grandfather fighting in the First World War at the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum.
The seven-year-old visited on the opening day of its new exhibition about the Great War on Tuesday. His great, great grandfather, Private Harry Holland, served with the Royal Lancaster Regiment in the trenches of northern France.
Jake’s dad, Peter Holland, carried on the military tradition, serving in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps in Afghanistan, so he has a keen interest in the army. Jake said: “I enjoyed learning about the Army from many years ago.”
He and his dad, mum Bev and sister Ellie, five, visited the Woodstock museum on a holiday to Oxfordshire from Preston.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community