Doric plans an art contest for its redevelopment bid

A graphic of how the redeveloped Botley centre could look

A graphic of how the redeveloped Botley centre could look

First published in News

A COMPETITION is being proposed to find a piece of artwork which could form a focal point for the West Way redevelopment scheme.

Doric Properties, the developer behind the £100m shopping centre plans, wants people to design a “landmark sculpture” which it says will sit in a “focal” point if the controversial project gets the go-ahead.

The company wants to demolish the empty Elms Court office block, West Way shopping centre, Botley Library, Seacourt Hall and the Botley Baptist Church for 500 student flats, shops, a cinema and a hotel.

A planning application has been submitted to Vale of White Horse District Council, which will make a final decision.

The artwork will be commissioned subject to planning permission being given for the scheme.

The competition was trialled at Oxford Art Fair last month and Doric is consulting with local groups and art consultancy company Art Projects to develop a brief for the project. So far, 17 people have registered interest in taking part in the competition.

The piece must be relevant to the Botley area.

Oxford Mail:

Oxfordshire artist Patrick Cannon, above, said: “Botley is a very special place to me having spent time there throughout my childhood.

“Creating artwork that could be enjoyed by the community through Doric’s proposals is an opportunity I couldn’t miss.

“The subject of my paintings varies from the Oxfordshire countryside to central London.

“I already have a few ideas for what I envisage for Botley.”

Oxford Art Fair organiser Joelle Dinnage said: “Doric’s public art competition is an amazing opportunity for local artists to showcase their talent.

“The Oxford Art Fair went really well, having built on previous years’ success, and I’m glad that many of those who exhibited have registered their interest in the competition.

“I would be thrilled for their work to be commissioned.”

Simon Hillcox, of Doric Properties said: “We’re really pleased by the response from local artists already and have high hopes for this competition creating something special for the local community.

“Public art is something that can help define a place and we’ll be looking for further public participation in other artistic elements of the scheme as our plans develop.”

Artists can register interest through the Contact Us page at doricproperties.com

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

    Send your Letter to the Editor

    11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

    What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Woman raped in Headington flat

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

3:24pm Saturday 20th September 2014

A WOMAN was followed into a Headington flat and raped this morning. 

Police manhunt after teenager raped in city centre

Oxford Mail:

11:57am Saturday 20th September 2014

A TEENAGER was raped in central Oxford this morning by a man she met in a nightclub.

Referendum vote gives PM a spring in his step

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014

WITNEY MP David Cameron has congratulated the people of Burford for organising a mock “referendum” on the issue of Scottish independence – but has admitted he was more relieved to find out the result of the actual poll.

Oxford United Wright issues warning

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 20th September 2014

Jake Wright believes it will be key for Oxford United to avoid getting dragged into a physical contest if they are to build on a midweek win when Stevenage visit today.

It's off - three-day city festival is cancelled

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 20th September 2014

A THREE-day festival set to take place on Oxford’s South Park next weekend has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales and rumours that one of its big name stars had pulled out.

Google wipes search results for 20 people's convictions after just one person's 'Right To Be Forgotten' request

Oxford Mail:

8:40am Saturday 20th September 2014

THE convictions of 20 people have been wiped from Google search results because of a single complaint in the latest controversy caused by a controversial European privacy ruling.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:21am Wed 6 Aug 14

Gatos4 says...

Please can we just have the art and not the 7-storey building?
Please can we just have the art and not the 7-storey building? Gatos4
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree