HOMEOWNERS could be compensated by the state if the value of their home falls as a result of new garden cities being built, the Deputy Prime Minister has said.
In the Government’s Garden Cities Prospectus, published in April, Nick Clegg said that new garden cities could be built in an “arc of prosperity” between Oxford and Cambridge.
Land between the Hanneys and Abingdon has been earmarked as a potential site for a 30,000 home garden city by planning consultant Ken Dijksman. Mr Clegg has said he wants a shortlist of potential locations published by the end of the year.
Speaking to BBC1’s Countryfile, the Deputy Prime Minister said it was important to safeguard house prices in areas chosen for projects.
He said: “We could, maybe, give deductions on their council tax for the period of time during which the garden city’s being built.
“We could, possibly, also say to those where they think the price of their home will be affected, we will guarantee the price of their home by buying it, if you like, upfront.”
Mr Clegg promised that ministers would “go the extra mile to allay those concerns of people who feel their property or the price of their home might be affected”.
He added: “We don’t want people to lose out.”
Earlier this year Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne announced that a 15,000 home garden city would be built at Ebbsfleet, near Dartford in Kent.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech