MORE than a year after teenager Connor Sparrowhawk died in a mental health unit, his parents almost have enough money for legal representation at his inquest.
Mr Sparrowhawk, who was autistic and epileptic, was 18 when he died while having a bath at Slade House, Headington, on July 4 last year.
He is believed to have drowned following an epileptic fit.
His mother Sara Ryan and stepfather Richard Huggins, now run the Justice for LB campaign – Mr Sparrowhawk’s nickname was Laughing Boy.
It is still working to raise £25,000 before his inquest – expected to take place later this year – and has raised more than £22,000 so far.
Dr Ryan, a senior resear-cher and autism specialist at Oxford University’s Nuffield department for primary care, said: “Most people are absolutely shocked and horrified that we are expected to pay this to enable us to get into the inquest on an equal footing.
“We want a corporate manslaughter charge against the Trust, and that the law is changed so that there is automatically an independent investigation when someone dies in a care situation and that people with learning disabilities like Connor are treated equally. It’s quite a big ask.”
The Headington couple said the family has been unable to comprehend Mr Sparrowhawk’s death because of the stress of fundraising.
Dr Ryan said: “There’s not been a moment where I could grieve.
“It’s been completely obliterated. It’s all been pushed to the edge by what we have had to deal with.”
Mr Huggins said: “If people like ourselves – with good jobs and supportive employers – can’t bring about this campaign, then who can?
“If we didn’t fight then Connor’s death would have been marked as ‘died of natural causes, all procedures followed’. This is simply not true.”
The assistant dean at Oxford Brookes University added: “This unit was designed to care specifically for people like Connor. They were paid to care for him. It failed to care for him.
“The things that have come out in the last year and the people who have contacted us who have suffered similar situations, mean it’s clear this is just one of many.
“This is part of a systemic way that people with learning difficulties are handled.
“It’s never going to stop. There’s not enough political will or public knowledge behind this.
“I lay awake and think: ‘How did we get to this position that seems to fall on so many people?’”
The inquest would see Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Slade House, asked to give evidence about the death before a coroner.
- Connor Sparrowhawk
The Trust was criticised in a report by the Care Quality Commission which said the checks at 15-minute intervals on Mr Sparrowhawk during baths were not safe and a result of poor overall care.
The report said his death was preventable and criticised assessments and management of his needs.
Slade House – home to 15 adults – was shut in September, and it is still unclear when, or if, it will reopen.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
8:30am Thursday 2nd July 2015
AMBITIOUS proposals for £1.6bn of transport and development schemes in Oxfordshire have been unveiled by a partnership of businesses, universities and councils.
7:49pm Thursday 2nd July 2015
ABOUT 40 Oxford residents attended a rally outside the Bodleian Library in solidarity with the people of Greece today.
5:48pm Thursday 2nd July 2015
DRIVERS are facing delays as an accident has blocked one lane of the A34 Western By Pass Road southbound.
5:29pm Thursday 2nd July 2015
A TEENAGE girl was confronted by a group of men and sexually assaulted in Wheatley in the early hours of this morning, [2/7] police said.
4:04pm Thursday 2nd July 2015
The bodies of nine victims of the Tunisian beach massacre have been returned to the UK, as the final British death toll was confirmed at 30.