No one will face charges over unlawful killing

Melvin Hillier

Melvin Hillier

First published in News

POLICE and prosecutors have said no one will face charges over the killing of a 52-year-old man in Carterton last year.

Jeweller Melvin Hillier, from Witney, was found dead in a flat after a night of heavy drinking with friends in March 2013.

Three people were arrested on suspicion of murderering Mr Hillier, but were released without charge. A coroner ruled in May that Mr Hillier had been unlawfully killed after suffering from bleeding on the brain caused by a blow to the head.

After the inquest, detectives said they were reviewing the investigation, but yesterday announced that no charges will be brought.

A Thames Valley Police and Crown Prosecution Service statement said: “Both the police and the CPS agree that there is no new evidence arising from the inquest.

“We will of course continue to review any new evidence that becomes available, but at this time there are no further lines of inquiry being pursued.”

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed

  • Our top stories

Bullfinch report reveals many more victims as mother calls for resignations

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 3rd March 2015

A VICTIM of the Bullfinch gang and her mother demanded that heads should roll at Oxfordshire County Council ahead of today’s report into the abuse scandal.

Superstar rapper talks up a storm with students

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 3rd March 2015

HE might have been The College Dropout, but Kayne West caused a storm with university students yesterday.

Scales of justice for man who ate live goldfish then posted a video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 3rd March 2015

A MAN who swallowed a live goldfish has been ordered to carry out 120 hours unpaid work and banned from keeping fish for five years.

Almost all children get a place in school of choice

Oxford Mail: New Oxfordshire county council logo

8:30am Tuesday 3rd March 2015

MORE than 90 per cent of primary school leavers in Oxfordshire will go to their first-preference secondary school this year.

'Private education is a waste of money' head tells parents

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 3rd March 2015

THE headteacher of a Headington school has said parents should not “waste their money” on private education after it received a glowing Ofsted report.

Vintage car convoy celebrates automotive history

Oxford Mail:

7:30am Tuesday 3rd March 2015

THE streets of Oxfordshire were transported back in time yesterday as a convoy of vintage cars made its way through the county.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree