Judge Mary Jane Mowat has retired after 18 years as circuit judge in Oxford and Reading.
Yesterday, the city judge was honoured by her fellow judges, barristers and court staff during a ceremony at Oxford Crown Court.
Judge Mowat gave a speech in which she thanked those who work at the court, even praising the conduct of the “punters” who have passed through the criminal justice system.
A reception with drinks and food was then held on the court’s concourse.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community